Yeah, I know. It's crazy to think of joining more challenges. But last year's Non-Fiction 5 Challenge hosted by Joy from Thought's of Joy was one of my favorites. It was a chance for me to break out of the norm, and really CHALLENGE myself. Non-fiction literature has always been difficult for me to read. But I found some incredible books last year, one's that I would have missed if it hadn't been for the challenge.
This year, Joy is hosting again! All you have to do is read 5 non-fiction books between May and September. At least 1 book has to be a different from the other choices. Visit Joy's blog to sign up! As with last year, I had a horrible time trying to narrow down my list. So I've included the 5 I would like to read and some alternates. Without further adieu, here is my list:
- A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
- The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star by Nikki Sixx (this has a FANTASTIC soundtrack that goes with the book!)
- The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair that Changed the World by Erik Larson
- Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six MIT Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich
- Hope's Boy: A Memoir by Andrew Bridge
- Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi
- Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil by Deborah Rodriguez
- Thunderstruck by Erik Larson
- Bush At War by Bob Woodward (Book 1 of a Three Part Series)
- Infidel by Ayaan Hirisi Ali
- Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through his Son's Meth Addiction by David Sheff
- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
Sheesh. I just couldn't decide!! We'll see how many I get through!!
Katrina from Callapidder Days is hosting a Spring Reading Thing 2008. Sign-ups begin on March 20th. I had so much fun with this one last year, that I can't resist trying it again!! The challenge runs from March 20 - June 19th. No set amount of books. Read as many or as few as you want!! This is a chance for me to get some books off the pile!!
- The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
- Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult
- Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
- School's Out by Christophe Dufosse
- Psyche in a Dress by Francesca Lia Block
- Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
- Better Than Running at Night by Hillary Frank
- Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
- The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur by Daoud Hari
- Divorcing Dwayne by J. L. Miles
These books have been sitting around for months!! I need to make a dent in my piles somehow!!
Any other challenges I'm missing?? I'm still waiting not-so-patiently for Carl's Once Upon a Time Challenge II.