Read at least one book from each of the four categories. In this quest you will be reading 4 books total: one fantasy, one folklore, one fairy tale, and one mythology. This proves to be one of the more difficult quests each year merely because of the need to classify each read and determine which books fit into which category. I am not a stickler, fear not, but I am endlessly fascinated watching how folks work to find books for each category.
Last year, I think I finished 7 books. I'm shooting for a total higher than that this year!!
- East by Edith Pattou (this could fall in the folklore category as well!) - East is a deftly woven tapestry that melds traditional fairy tale motifs of both Beauty and the Beast and East of the Sun and West of the Moon, with the haunting icy lore of medieval northern lands.
- Briar Rose by Jane Yolen - a retelling of Sleeping Beauty.
- Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia Wrede
- Dreams Underfoot by Charles de Lint
- The Ivory and the Horn by Charles de Lint
- The Wood Wife by Terri Windling
- The Presence: A Ghost Story by Eve Bunting
- The Vanishing Hitchhiker: American Urban Legends and their Meanings by Jan Harold Brunvand
- Will Storr Vs. The Supernatural by Will Storr
- Grave Peril by Jim Butcher
- Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs
- Ill Wind by Rachel Caine
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
- A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle
- The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
- A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Now, I KNOW I won't get all of these books finished for the challenge. But they are definitely the ones I am using to complete my categories!!!
Thanks for hosting again, Carl. You've made my week!!!