It feels weird to do a review post when I haven't even finished posting all my 2009 reviews. But the way I'm going these days, I didn't want to end up posting this wrap-up post in February!!
I sometimes find it rather depressing to read everyone's wrap-up posts. I can not even come close to touching the numbers of other bloggers. There are just not enough hours in the day. But since I've decided to go with the Zen approach to blogging, I'm carrying that over to my reading!!
So....since my numbers are low, this shouldn't be too long for all of you to read! I finished 2009 with a total of 49 books. That's one less that last year and the same as 2007. I'm nothing, if not consistent!! Of course, with the addition of Graphic Novels to my reading, I would have thought I could squeeze in a few more this year. My hopes of ever hitting 100 are swiftly getting dashed. Maybe when I retire, and only have puppies and kittens to take care of! Till then, it's a Dare to Dream kind of thing. I will forever put up 100 as a goal I'd love to make it to someday.
Since 49 is the total, I'm going to give you the top 5....and a few that made the runners-up list. (in no particular order)
- Looking for Alaska by John Green such a great book. Heartbreaking, but ultimately a wonderful look at teens, love and grief.
- Hunger Games/Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - It's hard to have one on the list without the other. I can't even tell you which one I liked better either. Both were fantastic. YA dystopian series. My son thinks these are the Best. Books. Ever!
- The Knife of Never Letting Go/The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness - The same as above. Can't very well have one without the other. Although, this time I actually think I liked The Ask and The Answer better than the first (boycolt!) YA Dystopian Series, like none I've ever read. Gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, heart-pounding intensity. SO GOOD! I actually bought both for Chad for Christmas. Though he insists nothing will be better than HG, I'm trying to get him to read these soon!
- I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith - I can't begin to describe what a surprising delight this book was! A look at one of the oddest, most eccentric families ever. Just plain wonderful!!
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - A year-end Best of List would not be complete without something from Neil Gaiman!! He's been on my list the last 2 years, and this book was no exception. Fantastic YA book, so deserving of the Newberry!!
Well....those were definitely the best I read this year. To be honest, there were very few books I read that I didn't enjoy. I have a few that also made my Honorable Mention:
- North of Beautiful by Justine Chen Headley
- Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
- The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman
- Fables Series by Bill Willingham
- Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson
- Preacher: Gone to Texas by Garth Ennis
- Monster by A. Lee Martinez
- Morganville Vampire Books 3, 4, 5 by Rachel Caine
- Magyk: Septimus Heap Book 1 by Angie Sage
Finally, a few numbers to add to my (pitiful) list of stats!!
Books Read in 2009: 49
Total Pages Read: 16,286
Comic/Graphic Novels: 6
Non-Fiction: 3 (AWFUL!)
Short-Story Collections/Essay Collections/Novellas: 2 (AWFUL!)
Young Adult/Children's: 24
By Men: 22
By Women: 27
New-to-Me Authors: 30
So....all in all, it was a rather low in quantity year. But I do have to say, the quality of the books I read was fantastic!! I still have a couple of reviews to finish up before I start my 2010 reviews. (of course, I haven't actually finished a book yet this year, so it's all good!) I have a bunch more challenges that I've signed up for/will sign up for. So, a couple posts announcing those. Then....we'll just see how it goes!!
Thanks for reading my blog in 2009!! Hopefully, you'll stick around for a great 2010!!