Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Sunday Salon - Life's Playlist

The Sunday Salon.comFirst of all, let me begin by saying this post is not going to be book-related. Sorry. I was going to do a January wrap-up post, but frankly it was a lousy reading month for me, in terms of quantity that is....and I figured it was going to be a pretty boring post! So feel free to skip right over this post, if you like.

My Ipod has a huge range of music. I don't like to be boxed in, and it includes songs from The Phantom of the Opera, Madonna, Prince, Ministry, and My Chemical Romance, just to name a few. I was thinking about music this weekend. I don't know about the rest of you, but music defines me. A song is one of the few things that can instantly bring up a memory so vivid for me, it's rather startling. I was working Friday night, and I had the radio on. There is a station that has the "Ultimate 80's Flashback" on every weekend, and I was listening to it. The song Broken Wings by Mr. Mister came on and immediately tears came to my eyes. Not because of the song, but it brought back a rush of memories for me about a friend that passed away a few years ago. It also put me in the mood to reminisce. Hence, this post.

So, here in a nutshell, is Stephanie's Playlist. A few songs that brings back a few memories. I have always listened to music. Starting with piano lessens at 6, I think music has always been a big part of my life. My parents listened to Country and Western....and I hated it. So, I became a big "Rocker Chick" in high school. Big hair....and music. That's what high school was for me!! But it seems the songs that I most remember from high school are the ballads and the anthems. I remember going with my friends to see The Breakfast Club. It spoke to me. Always has...and still does. I sometimes forget that the song we all know....Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds is it's own entity. It will forever be linked in my mind to the movie!




My Senior Prom theme was from Bon Jovi. Never Say Goodbye. Always the rebel, in days when prom dresses were white and pink and pastels....I wore black! It was a kick-ass dress too!!



They say you never forget your first love. I know that's true. Billy was my first love. We spent the summer after my high school graduation together, listening to the soundtrack to Stand by Me....dancing, laughing, and loving. But when that wonderful summer was over, so were we. Later the next year, when my brother was killed, Billy came back into my life to help me get through it. He was my rock in a time when I needed one. He knew me inside and out....and swore no one would ever know me better than he did. I sometimes think this is true. And I will forever be in debt to him for being there when I needed him....and probably always still just a little bit in love with him! Whenever I hear this song, a rush of those memories just flood back to me.




College was such a great time. A time for discovery and finding out who I was. I joined a sorority. Scary, isn't it?? Not really my thing, but I found a great group of friends. Still the rebel, I turned into a major "Goth Chick". With a little help from my friend Tommy, I discovered music like The Ramones, Skinny Puppy, Lords of the New Church......and the Sisters of Mercy!! Here is Lucretia, My Reflection:




My senior year, I started hanging out at a club called Night Faces. It was a dark, dance club.....and Pietor, the owner became a great friend (who gave me job when I needed one!) Pietor was from Sweden, and came to Peoria by way of Saudi Arabia where he worked in the oil fields. He was a great guy, and I loved him like a big brother. This is one of the songs we used to dance to all night long.....Pat and Mick's Use it up!




When I met Mike, music was one of the ties that bound us together. We had such common interests....like my very favorite band ever!! So What is the song that we have danced to our entire life together. It has meaning.....again the rebel in me:
So what, its your problem to learn to live with
Destroy us, or make us saints
We don't care, its not our fault that we were born too late
A screaming headache on the brow of the state
Killing time is appropriate
To make a mess and fuck all the rest,
we say, we say So what? so what?



Finally, now I'm a family person. I have kids, a house....and a dog. I want the world to be a better place for us all. This is the song that I put my kids to sleep with when they were little. A song that will always hold a place in my heart. John Lennon was a great man. If only he was still with us today, the world would be a little calmer.





Sorry for that trip down memory lane. I hope I didn't bore you today!!



Enjoy the Superbowl....go Cards!! More book stuff tomorrow!! Happy Sunday!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Stephanie! I've been downloading a lot of my older faves since they've been on sale at iTunes. It's hard to beat the classics. Have a great week!

Debi said...

I loved this post, Stephanie! Our "musical paths" aren't exactly the same (mine followed more of a heavy metal high school to Dead Head college track), but I totally get what you mean. Oh, and The Breakfast Club will forever be one of my favorite movies...what can I say, I just love it.

Michelle said...

This is a great post, Stephanie! Music is also something that defines me - from the soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar as I struggle with my own questions regarding humanity and life ever after to Texas Hippie Coalition's "Pissed Off and Mad About It" when work has me down. Like you, my tastes have developed and changed over the years. I will still think of 80s pop fondly, but if I were to go with what my playlist tells me, that goth girl isn't buried as deeply as I once thought she was!

Literary Feline said...

There are certain landmark songs in my life as well, that each time I hear them bring back memories of a specific event or time from my past. I enjoyed reading your music reflections, Stephanie! Some of those songs sure brought back memories!

Have a great week!

Ana S. said...

I can totally related to this post, Stephanie. Not only because we like some of the same bands, but also because I also feel that music defines me. Music is so deeply connected with so many important moments in my life.

Kelly said...

Pat Sharp! He was my local radio DJ here in the UK. Not sure if he still does it though but wow what a blast from the past!

Suey said...

What a fun post! Thanks for sharing. I too love music, and have a hard time putting into words what it means to me. I can't imagine life without it.

Melody said...

Great post, Stephanie!
I haven't been doing much reading either... hopefully Feb will be better!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Oh this was such an awesome post! It's incredible how music follows up through our lives. The Breakfast Club (music and movie) will always be a big part of my life because of the memories it sparks.

I'm also loving how my kids are listening to bands I listened to at that age - Rage Against the Machine, RHCP, Cure, Rev Horton Heat, and with Guitar Hero they are appreciating some of the early albums from Metallica :P

Susan said...

No way could you bore me! I've just got a you tube version of Don't YOu forget About Me, one of my all-time favourite songs, so I really enjoy hearing why you like it so much! wonderful post about how music affects our lives, shapes our decades, weaves its way into our memories. thanks, Stephanie! and I'm very sorry about your brother.