Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday Randomness

I was going to do a post like this Tuesday.....but then I saw Carl's announcement of the RIP IV Challenge....and well, I just got too excited!! I mean seriously. I've been stockpiling books like crazy for this challenge. I wait all year for it....couldn't NOT post immediately!

So....school started this week. Ana is in the 2nd grade and Bella's in the 4th. Both were really excited for the first day of school. The social parts of them love to get together with all their friends. But they are both really excited about learning too. I find that so refreshing. This summer, during their summer reading program, we spent hours checking out non-fiction books. They wanted to learn new things. We worked our way through the juvenile non-fiction section of animals, stars, and the weather.

Chad is going into 8th grade. He's freaking out just a bit. He found out he'd been placed in an advanced, high-school level math class. Math = NOT my favorite subject by any means. But he loves it. And has always done extremely well. I have no idea why he's worried about it. Except for the fact that he might actually have to study just a little bit.

Speaking of Chad, his 13th birthday was last week. Talk about making a person feel old. I now have a TEENAGER in the house. With the girlies, I made sure to take each one out separately....dinner and stuff afterwards. But I was a little worried Chad wouldn't want to go. I realize hangin' with your mom becomes super un-cool after a certain age. So I put it out there for him and told him we could go out, but only if he wanted to. He said that was fine. We could do something after his football practice one night. So I rushed him home for a shower and we took off. We went to Borders (and I bought him 3 books, including The Hunger Games which he is almost finished with...and loving!), then out to Applebee's for dinner, and finally a late night movie. While we were sitting at dinner, he said, "Mom, can I tell you something? I've REALLY been looking forward to tonight." Sheesh, I just about lost it. I'm such a sap. But he is my only boy...and my firstborn. I hope he stays as sweet as he is now.

Work has been busy....I swear, I'm putting in close to 70 hours a week with both jobs. And my shoulder is just killing me. I know I'm going to have to have surgery on it. But I can't afford to take the time off now. Maybe after Christmas. That's why I'm working so much. Trying to build up some savings for me to take the time off. The Dr. said the recovery period for a torn rotator cuff could be up to 3 - 4 months. That's a lot of time to NOT be working.

My wonderful friend Michelle, from Master Musings by Michelle (a totally awesome new blogger that you really need to start reading!!) just gave me an award!! She passed along the Me-to-You Blogger Award, and it seriously made my day. I love the little bear, don't you? I'll have to think before I pass it on to anyone else. It's so hard when all the blogs I read are so good!

Since we are talking about things that made my day, I wanted to comment on the BBAW nominations. I haven't had a chance to post about it, but I got *3* nominations! Best Speculative Fiction Blog, Best YA Blog, and Best Reviews. I can't tell you how excited about this I am. Not that I expect to win or anything, because the competition is fierce. But seriously, just being nominated has meant so much to me. It means that someone has noticed the things I do here. And although I really mean for my blog to be just for me, it makes me feel fantastic that someone else out there thinks enough about to nominate me. So THANK YOU so much to whoever you are. It means the world!!


In reading news, I requested a butt-load of books from the library. Mostly for the RIP challenge. Man. They must think I'm crazy. It's not like I don't already have 30 books checked out!! Looks like a library Loot post is upcoming.

On the reading front, I need to post a review for Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. I always have a hard time with books that don't meet my expectations. :( I'm still reading I Capture the Castle. Slowly but surely, and I'm really loving this book. Not at all what I expected. I'm also finishing up a book for a book tour on Friday....Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas. A different read for me, but a good one.

What's going on in your lives?? I really need to catch up with my blog reading. I'm slacking a bit these days. Later....

11 comments:

Melody said...

That was such a sweet remark from Chad!!! I'm glad you all had a wonderful time!

Hope your shoulder is getting better!

And oh, you've read Hush, Hush?! I can't wait to hear what you think of that book! It's been on my wishlist!

Melody said...

Oh..I forgot to say this on my previous post:
Congrats on your nominations!!!

Meghan said...

Aw, it's such a wonderful idea to have dinner specifically with each kid when it's their birthday. I'm glad your son is still so sweet and I hope it lasts!

Marg said...

Yay for library loot!

Stephanie said...

Melody - I know! He really can be a sweetheart when he wants to be (and he's not torturing his sisters!) We really had a lot of fun. My shoulder is killing me right now. I really think a week off would help tremendously. Must look into that!!

Meghan - You know, I just started the whole birthday thing last year. I work a lot of hours, and I really miss spending time with the kids. I think they each deserve their own time on their special day. I let them choose what they want to do...but we usually go out to eat and then...something. It's fun. And yes, Chad really is a sweetie most of the time.

Marg - No kidding. You guys are going to die when you see all the books I requested this week!

Care said...

Happy Back-to-School and blog hopping!

jessi said...

Congrats on your nominations! I'm sorry about your shoulder. :(

Amanda said...

I love this post! It's so sweet to hear about your kids and you definitely deserve your nominations. I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder, though. :(

Ana S. said...

So sweet of Chad! And you know, Stephanie, a mom as cool as you never really becomes un-cool :P Also, I'm really sorry to hear about your shoulder :( And to end on a happy note, congrats on your nominations!!

Michelle said...

See - world's best mom and top blogger extraordinaire! You definitely deserve all these honors and more!

Carl V. Anderson said...

It sounds like you have really sweet kids, Stephanie.

Wait until your teenager is 17...then you'll really feel old! :)

I too have a ton of books either already checked out from or requested from the library. I figure there's no harm, after all they're free and no one has to know if I actually was able to get to them or not.

Hope your children have a wonderful school year and that your days are filled with many more precious moments like the one on your son's birthday!