Thursday, October 4, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - Decorum



Do you have “issues” with too much profanity or overly explicit (ahem) “romantic” scenes in books? Or do you take them in stride? Have issues like these ever caused you to close a book? Or do you go looking for more exactly like them? (grin)

Nope. Can't say that I do!! To be totally honest, "Romance" novels aren't exactly my thing. I respect a good love story, and a lot of the books I read have a love story-line. But I just don't do outright Danielle Steele, Harlequin Steamy romance novels. To each his own, right? Erotica? Another genre that just doesn't do it for me ! All of that being said, I've never put down a book because of sex scenes. If the author feels it's necessary to the story, then I usually read it.


Profanity?? Nope. First of all my dad was a Marine. I'm quite sure I've heard it all before!! Hell, on my bad days , I've probably SAID it all before! I think it just depends on the writer. I don't particularly care for a lot of profanity thrown in just because. It needs to add to the story. In reality, it's out there for the world to hear. It just makes a story more realistic, in my opinion. But it has to be written right. Once again, I go back to my old favorite, Stephen King. One of the reasons, I like Uncle Steve so much is his writing is so realistic. When I read dialogue that he has written, I can actually envision someone saying it. THAT is good writing. With or without profanity!!
Happy Thursday!!

11 comments:

kookie said...

I'm totally with you on this one. I've never been offended by the use of sex or language in a book and I don't really understand people who are, but I guess some people are more sensitive than I am.

However, I did have to put down "The Naked Lunch" and "Haunted" because of utterly repulsive scenes that made me gag.

DesLily said...

I'm with you on this.. mostly anyway. I don't mind the language or sex... my gripe comes when it's "overkill".. if it's not necessary, don't use it.. but if it ads to the scene or character, go for it.

but the over use of either gets to me and I will put a book down because of it.. heck, I hear enough of it where I live, don't need to have it sprawled on every page of a book too!

bookinhand said...

I agree, excessiveness isn't necessary... whether it be language, sex, violence, etc. I don't mind these in a book, as long as it's part of the storyline and doesn't go overboard.
Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!
Diane

Anonymous said...

I'm not much for romance novels either - an occassional Nora Roberts but that's it. I don't go for excessive profanity either. Then again there are times when people cuss excessively. LOL.

Melody said...

I'm with you, Stephanie! Having a plot and good writing is essential in a good story.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I agree with you Stephanie. The only book I've read that has made me really uncomfortable was Choke by Chuck Palahniuk--but that was also way out there. And despite it all, I still enjoyed the book. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Violence along with sex scenes completely puts me off. Otherwise anything goes as long as it well done!

Alice said...

I share your thoughts, Stephanie! :D

Bookfool said...

Off-topic, here, but I just wanted to say congrats on your book win at Estella. I can't wait to read your thoughts on . . . okay, can't remember the title . . . Amnesiac whatever. LOL Anyway, congrats!

tanabata said...

I agree, if it's important for the story, sex or profanity don't bother me. If it's just there for the sake of it it's probably the sign of a poorly written book. Like you, I don't really do out and out romance books anyway.

Literary Feline said...

Haha I almost mentioned in my response that I grew up with swearing. Every other word out of my father's mouth somedays was the "f" word. He was a Marine too. Since being out of the service, his language has improved considerably, but growing up, it was a natural part of my life. Somehow I didn't end up picking up his habit though. I'm sure my mother is grateful.