Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Darker and More Sinister than the First

After reading the first book in this series, I couldn’t wait to jump into Betrayed: A House of Night Novel by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. This is book number two in the continuing story of Zoey Redbird and the House of Night and the first book that I read for the Fall into Reading 2007 Challenge.

One month after entering the House of Night, Zoey Redbird thinks she has it all figured out. She has survived her first month as a fledgling and finally feels like she belongs. She has a new boyfriend, and she has been made the leader of the Dark Daughters - only the most elite group in school. After the mess Aphrodite made of the Dark Daughters, Zoey wants to bring respect to the organization. She wants the Dark Daughters and Sons to be about more than looks and popularity. By creating a Prefect Council, she is well on the way to achieving that goal.

But then something unimaginable happens: human students start dying. And not just any students, but kids Zoey knew from her past life. When the police come to the House of Night to question Zoey, a bad feeling starts to creep into her stomach. And Heath, her human ex-boyfriend, is STILL trying to get back together with her. She knows that because she has tasted his blood: he has Imprinted with her. This means there is a strong bond between them, a bond that is not easily broken.

When a death among the fledglings rocks the House of Night, Zoey is forced to take a closer look at all the weird things that have been happening. She is even getting a strange feeling about Neferet, the High Priestess and her mentor. Neferet is acting funny, not at all like a High Priestess should. It is up to Zoey and her friends to figure out what is happening at the House of Night.

When I read Marked, I was sure this series would be a hit. And I was extremely pleased that Betrayed, as a sequel, more than lives up to expectations. This book is progressively darker and more sinister than the first, with an underlying ominous current of tension that is brought out in the first few chapters and plays through the entire book. P.C. Cast and her daughter, Kristin, have created a world in which “darkness does not always equate to evil, just as light does not always bring good.” Their writing is simple and enthralling, leaving you wanting more - it is truly addictive. I, for one, cannot wait until the series continues with Chosen in 2008. 4.5/5


Copyright Stephanie Toland/2007 for curled up with a good kid's book

7 comments:

Melody said...

Ooh...I didn't know this book is out! Thanks for the great review, Stephanie! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't read too many YA novels but this one sounds like it could be a lot of fun - vamps and creepiness :)

chrisa511 said...

This sounds like such an awesome series. It has everything that I like in it..I'm really going to have to check this one out! And it sounds like it's going to just keep getting better. Any idea how long the series is going to be?

Stephanie said...

Melody - Thanks! It came out about a week ago. I actually think it's better than the first!

Iliana - I tend to like YA books. I think the only reason this is considered YA is that it's about high school-aged kids. It's a great series!

Chris - I think you would like this series. I'm pretty sure I read that the series is supposed to be 6 books.

Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh I can not wait to read this book. I absaloutly loved Marked (Actually I love it so much that I have read it enough times to have dog-eared every page) and this book is sure to be just as exiting. And to chris I don't know how long the series is but p.c. and her daughter have already written the third book Chosen

PC Cast said...

Hi Guys!

Stephanie - thanks for the wonderful review! So glad you enjoyed BETRAYED. I think you'll like CHOSEN even better.

In answer to the questions about series length: Kristin and I have been contracted to write 9 books in all - some of those will be a spin-off (but I can't give more details than that right now or I'll spoil the plot for you). Right now we're writing UNTAMED, which will be out in August.

Happy reading, and please know how much Kristin and I appreciate your support.

Anonymous said...

i have read marked and ui am soo keen to read betrayed but most bookstores in australia that i have gone to dont have it :(