Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Not Just Another Vampire Tale......


After visiting Colleen Gleason's blog many times, I FINALLY made the attempt to read her first novel, The Rest Falls Away (368 pgs, Signet). I picked it up because of the RIP Challenge, and I'm certainly glad I did!! This is an excellent 1st novel in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles.

In every generation a Gardella is called to accept the family legacy. That legacy is to be a Venator -- vampire slayer. And this generation it is Victoria Gardella Grantworth that was chosen. Her Great-Aunt Eustasia, the former Gardella Venator, is now her teacher. Not only is Victoria learning to hone her skills as a vampire slayer, but she is also about to debut! Her mother, who knows nothing about Victoria's legacy, is trying to make a suitable match for her daughter. So she has to fit in a little vampire slaying between balls and musicales!

Phillip de Lacy, the Marquess of Rockley and London's most eligible bachelor, has his eyes set on Victoria. When he announces his intentions to ask for her hand in marriage, Victoria is ecstatic! She has fallen hopelessly in love with Rockley and would love to be his wife. But how is she supposed to keep her life as a Venator secret from her beloved?? Especially now that Lilith, queen of the Vampires, has arrived in London searching for the Book of Antwartha? This book is supposed to contain powerful spells and incantations that will allow Lilith to raise demons at will by the legion. If that happens, the world will never be safe again.

When you through in Maximilan Pesaro, another veteran Venator, and Sebastian Vioget, a rather slimy but seductive man who knows more about vampires than the average man, you have a cast of characters that will thrill you to no end!! This book was such fun, although the ending was a lot darker than I expected. Victoria turned out to be a strong character and a fierce fighter. And the Victorian setting really worked. I think this is a great start to a very exciting series and I can't wait to read book two! 4/5


Also reviewed by:
Marg @ Reading Adventures
Chris @ Book-A-Rama

16 comments:

Kimmie said...

I'll have to look for this one. Being a Buffy fan, I love slayers.

Stephanie said...

Kimmie, I think you will like this then. I had many flashes of Buffy when I was reading it!! I have all 7 season on DVD, and I bring them out alot....much to the chagrin on my hubby!!

Nikki in Niagara said...

It was so good wasn't it? I was pretty stunned by the ending, not what I had expected! Wait until you read the next one, I thought it was even better than the first.

Stephanie said...

Nicola - I already pulled Book 2 off the shelf! I was very surprised by the ending too. Not at all what I was expecting. I hated that it had to end like that...though I do understand why!

Anonymous said...

I read this too for RIP II and really enjoyed it. Oh, and I see that you have a Buffy DVD collection - I am soooo jealous! Buffy was one of my all time fav tv shows!
Stephanie
thewrittenword.wordpress.com

chrisa511 said...

Just wait til book 2 ;) So glad you enjoyed this one! I loved it! I saw that Bookfool got her ARC of Book 3, so reviews should be coming in soon for that one, yay!

CJ said...

Hah!

Another one has fallen under Colleen's wonderful spell!

I loved the books and am waiting anxiously for February and the third one.

cjh

Marg said...

I must hurry up and read the second book in this series!

Hey, can you send me an email? I have trouble getting through on yours!

Amy said...

So glad to see you enjoyed this one. I loved it too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks os much for the great review, Stephanie. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

Don't forget about the chance to be a walk-on character in my fourth book. You too could be an undead. Or a victim. Or whatever! ;-)

Contest info on my home page.

Bookfool said...

Isn't Colleen's writing wonderful? I love the characters and the time period, Victoria's strength and the appeal of the males. The men get even better in Rises the Night (hubba hubba); it's even darker than The Rest Falls Away, but so good. I don't generally like dark novels, but I love Colleen's stories and can't wait to read the latest installment. Ignore what Chris said - I wasn't s'posed to tell.

Stephanie said...

Stephanie - Buffy was one of my favorites!!

Chris - I already cracked open Rises the Night! I should have it done soon. Totally addictive!

CJ - Yep. I am truly under the spell. I just don't how I'm going to wait until Feb!!

Marg - I'll email you! I've been so busy with the job hunt, I've barely had time to breath.

Amy - Loved it!!

Colleen - Thanks for stopping by!! Your book was fantastic. I'm already into Rises the Night. Hmmm....I'd much rather be a vampire than a victim!!

Bookfool - So far, Rises the Night hasn't disappointed!! I can't wait for more time to read it! Hmmm....can't ignore it!! But I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Book 3! You lucky dog!

Anonymous said...

This was one of my R.I.P. II Challenge reads too. Wasn't it fun? I was quite shocked by the ending - didn't expect that at all. I'm looking forward to book two!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, wait until you read Book #2. One of the things that most impressed me about these books is Gleason's ability to make really bad things happen for the people in her world (witness the end of book one). They are faced with hard, heart-rending choices.

That's what sets these books apart. Not that the writing, the world-building, the characterization... none of that has anything to do with it. *wink*

Marianne Arkins said...

I love this book! And the one that follows.... and DANG IT, I wish she'd hurry up and get the next one done! LOL...

The Bookworm said...

sounds good, I like vampire stories.