Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Random Thoughts and New Releases


Is it just me, or is anyone else out there extremely excited for Stephen King's new book, Duma Key?? It just came out yesterday, and I still have some Christmas money left. So....I HAVE to get to the bookstore....SOON!! There are not a lot of books out there I will buy right away. Money is tight, and I really don't have the space anyway. But when Stephen King puts out a new novel, I will definitely be in the mood to buy it! And this one looks so good.






Besides the new Stephen King, I'm anxiously awaiting the new Colleen Gleason as well. The Bleeding Dusk is Book 3 of the Gardella Vampire Chronicles. Chris just wrote an excellent review of it here. The first 2 books were great, and even though they are in the "Romance" section (a place I generally don't hang out!), they are so much more than that. Colleen really knows how to build the suspense. Book 2, Rises the Night, was pretty dark, and I can't imagine this one will be any different. Release date is February 5th....just a few weeks away!! It seems like it is forever coming!!



On a rather sad note, I was extremely disturbed by the news of Heath Ledger's death. Not incredibly mainstream, he was still one of my favorite actors. Since the first time I saw him in 10 Things I Hate about You, I knew he was something special. (of course, that is one of my favorite movies!) He was never afraid to take chances either. Not many actors would have taken on a role like Ennis in Brokeback Mountain. He did a fabulous job of it too. He also looks deliciously creepy as the Joker in the newest Batman movie, The Dark Knight, a movie I can not wait to see. I really feel bad for his little girl. Hollywood definitely lost a shining star in Heath.

14 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

I know, that was so sad. His poor family.

I saw King on the Today show. He made me want the book and I haven't read him in years!

chrisa511 said...

I'm super excited about the new King book but that damn New Years Resolution is getting in the way! I need to make it through at least January, right? And I know this won't be available at the library for awhile...But I think I may have put an exception out for this one awhile ago when I made this resolution...I'm going to have to go back and check ;)

The Gleason book is great! You're going to love it. It's dark for sure and it takes on a much more serious tone in my opinion. And there's major stuff! I'm excited about hearing your thoughts on it.

Ledgers death was so sad. It's going to be weird seeing The Dark Knight now. I feel so bad for his little girl and his family. He was so young too. Just a year older than me...scary. Poor guy...

Ana S. said...

I was disturbed too, and sad, and surprised. He was a great actor. I first saw him in 10 Things I Hate About You too...that movie remains to this day my favourite "teen" movie. It's so much better than the average romantic comedy for teens.

I agree with Chris that seeing The Dark Knight will be kind of weird.

On a positive note, enjoy the new Stephen King!

Stephanie said...

Chris - You should do it!! Read Stephen King!!!

Chris - I won't tell anyone if you break your resolution for the new Stephen King!! Yeah, I'm totally bummed about Heath Ledger. I've always liked him and the risks he took as an actor. The Dark Knight is definitely going to be weird to watch.

Nymeth - I know!! 10 Things I Hate About You was such a great teen movie. Will always be one of my favorites!! I'll miss Mr. Ledger.

Melody said...

Stephanie, I know you are a Big fan of Stephen King!! ;) I'm anxious to hear what you think of Duma Key.

The death of Heath Ledger is all so sad. I feel so sorry for his family.

Juli said...

Ooh...I didn't know King had a new book out! I'll be excited to see what you have to say about it. I'm going to go check out what it is about now.

Iliana said...

That was a shock about Heath wasn't it. Very sad. I've only seen a few of his movies but 10 Things is my favorite too. Such a cute movie.
So what's the King book about? I used to be a fan way back but I couldn't forgive him for The Tommyknockers which I hated. I'll wait to hear what you think on this one :)

Unknown said...

Stephanie, you've been tagged!
And I was also shocked when I heard about Heath Ledger's death. I still am, in fact... :-(

Debi said...

Yep, shock and sadness. I don't follow Hollywood much, but his death definitely struck me. He's just always seemed like such a nice guy.

And oooooh, I can't wait to get my hands on Duma Key...but I know I shouldn't spend the money. Of course, that doesn't seem to stop me lately.

heather (errantdreams) said...

I'm so far behind on King's books. I should get around to those.

The news about Ledger was sad. Not only was he very talented, but he seemed to be one of those rare big-talent actors who didn't behave like a spoiled, attention-seeking brat. That's become so rare these days. It's a true shame to see this happen to him.

Ladytink_534 said...

I kept thinking it was a joke for the first day he was a great actor and will be missed.

Andi said...

Yep, I'm more disturbed by his death than most celebrity happenings (Anna Nicole, anyone?). It's especially sad given his little girl's age and all, and he was a fine actor. One of the best of the younger set for sure.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad about Heath Ledger, I really liked him as an actor. The new Batman looks amazing and from the trailer he looks awesome as the Joker. RIP.

April said...

I am very excited about Duma Key, also! I had received a Gift Card from B&N and guess what one of the books I purchased with it was?! LOL! I can't wait to read it - it sounds excellent!!
I was terribly saddened by the news of Heath Ledger also. I was so shocked - I never would have thought something like that would happen to him. 10 Things I Hate About You is one of my all time favorite movies also. I love the part where he sings on the bleachers!