Monday, February 18, 2008

Have You Ever Heard of the Jonas Brothers??


Have you?? No?? Then you must not have young kids. Because these boys are the hottest boy band to hit the "Tween" airwaves in years. And my daughters are just CRAZY about them!! Can you believe that? They are only 7 and 5, and yet they are gaga over these guys.

Personally, "boy bands" never did it for me. Not one of them ever held any appeal to me at all. No New Kids on the Block; no Backstreet Boys: no INSYC. Then again, I'm more of a metal/goth chick myself. So when I found out the Jonas Brothers were coming the Peoria Civic Center, the last thing I wanted to do was deal with that madness. And the price was unbelievable. But a couple extra shifts at the restaurant, and a little overtime at the Red Cross...and we stocked up enough money to go. Do you think I could talk Mike into going?? Not a chance....so last night, it was truly a Girl's Night Out.

All afternoon was spent picking out just the right outfits, getting ready, curling hair, and general girl stuff. Man. I don't know what I'm going to do when these 2 actually hit their teens. I took the girls to their restaurant of choice (Buffalo Wild Wings), and got the party started. We had a nice dinner and the girls got to play video games at the table. It was actually a lot of fun.

Then we set of for the Civic Center. We had to walk a block in the cold, because I parked at the Red Cross. Just as we were getting ready to cross to the Civic Center, the nicest Security Guard came up to us. He asked where we parked, so I told him. He said because it was so cold and dark, he didn't think it would be right to let us walk that way by ourselves at night, so he found me a killer parking place in the lot for free (the parking was prepaid with the tickets, if you wanted to pay extra. I was just too cheap!) The girls even got to "touch" the Jonas Brothers bus!! I guess that was pretty thrilling.

Once inside, we were bombarded with stuff to buy. So I ended up getting the girls each a T-shirt and a light stick. We made our way to our seats. I don't know how I got such a lucky draw. We were on the Main Floor, 16 rows back..right in the middle. The girls were so short, they couldn't see a thing, so I let them stand on their seats. And the show was actually really fun. Not my type of thing, but the girls loved it. They sang along with all the songs, screamed and waved their light sticks, and jumped up and down with the crowd. The boys themselves are actually pretty talented. They play their own instruments and write all the songs.

But the piercing sound of over 10,000 screaming girls was about more than I could take. At one point, I thought my ears were going to bleed!! The things we endure for our children, I guess. It really was a fun night, but today, I'm feeling the pain. I have a horrible headache, and the onset of a nasty cold, I'm afraid. Oh well....I think it was worth it!!

3 tickets to the Jonas Brothers Concert: $177
Dinner at their favorite restaurant: $38
T-shirts and light sticks: $80 (can you believe that??)
Watching your daughters faces when they get to see the object of their first celebrity crushes live: PRICELESS

19 comments:

kookie said...

I wish all moms could be as cool as you! What a great memory they will have to carry with them...don't worry they'll remember. :D

Stephanie said...

Kookie - Well, I don't know how cool I am. But I try! And yes, I'm sure they will remember this one for a long time. They were just over-the-top excited last night. Bella said it was the best night of her life!!

chrisa511 said...

Aw, that's so sweet of you :) But good Lord that's an expensive night! But you're right...it's priceless. You should get the mommy of the year award for going through that, lol. Hope your headache goes away!

Anonymous said...

wow! you are a supermom!

i'm sure they'll really appreciated it.

Amy said...

That is so cool. What great memories to share.

All of my daughter's friends love the Jonas brothers. My daughter is a rocker though so they aren't her style. :D

I hope your headache goes away!

Chrisbookarama said...

Not bad really considering what some people pay for Hannah Montana tickets. Sounds like they'll remember that for a long time.

Ladytink_534 said...

I don't have children but I've seen them perform on the Disney channel. They aren't half bad.

Poor you! The only concerts I've ever been to were all rock. Midtown in Atlanta was pretty bad but I think you had it worse!

Anonymous said...

My girls (9 and 10 yrs old) are crazy over the Jo Bros. We haven't seen them live, but we did get to see Hannah Montana last year for free (it was a tv taping of a concert for season 2) and were right in front of the stage. The screaming made my ears ring for days. Lots of fun though.

Melody said...

Stephanie, you're a great mom! I'm sure your children will appreciate all the things you've done for them. :) Hope you're feeling better...

Stephanie said...

Chris - Can you believe it? By the time you racked up all the event and ticket master charges, it was almost $60 a ticket!! Sheesh. The headache may be with me for awhile!!

Thanks JP!!

Amy - Now, your daughter and I would get along great then!! I didn't hate them. The Jo Bros were actually kind of cute! It's just the screaming girls I could have lived without.

Chris - I guess I should be thankful that both Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers are actually decent roles models for the girls...unlike the Britney's, Jamie Lynn's or Lyndsey'f of the world!

Tink - You know...they AREN'T half bad. And actually pretty talented. That being said, I still could have lived with out it!! Man...Atlanta traffic is the worse!

Lisa - How cool is that?? My girls love Hannah Montana too!!

Thanks Me;ody!! Hopefully, this headache will go away soon!

tanabata said...

Aw, you're like the coolest mom!! :)

heather (errantdreams) said...

Boy bands were never my thing either, but I'm so glad you got to have that experience with your girls!!

Bibliolatrist said...

You've won my "You Make My Day" award. Congrats!

(But don't feel obligated to pass it on :)

Kim L said...

Wow what a great mom :-) I didn't listen to nsync or backstreet boys either when I was younger, but I do remember going with my dad to a dcTalk concert, the hottest christian band at the time. He really hated concerts too, but I remember having the time of my life. I'm sure your girls will remember that concert for a long time with fond memories as well!

Andi said...

Yep, I was a New Kids on the Block FREAK at that age, and my mom did the same thing. It's always been a great memory for me...something I'll never forget. :) I'm glad they had a great time!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I can't believe the craze over these guys! I have only heard a few snippets when my morning show talks about the Jonas Brothers, but crazy! You are such an awesome mom to take your girls! How fun...

The Bookworm said...

my kids love jonas brothers!
glad you had fun....your girls got to touch the jonas brothers bus?! *faint* lol

Debi said...

Good lord...I don't think I've ever been quite so thankful that Annie has never gotten into much of that typical tween stuff as I am after reading that post! I'm not sure I could have recovered from that experience! Good job, Mom, for giving your little sweeties a night they'll treasure forever!

Marg said...

I was watching Disney the other night and one of their clips came on. I thought that they sounded alright - certainly less manufactured and poppy than some of the other music they show on the Disney channel.