Sunday, February 10, 2008

What a Week.....Random Thoughts

Sheesh. What a week. Forgive me for my lack of posting, but it's been CRAZY this week. The ups and downs of the polls. Work, work, and more work (have I mentioned that today is my first day off since January 13th!!). Snow, snow, and freezing cold temps. Slumber parties (NOT at my house!) and preparing for Valentine's Parties. And a massive migraine that about put me out for a day or two. Computer problems. (Oh yeah. Chris, as much as I love you, your move to Wordpress has been HELL for me!! Trying to upgrade to a different IE explorer wiped out all my settings....and has almost made it impossible for me to log on at all. I still can't get to my email!!)

So today, on my only day off in a month, I'm sitting by the fire (today's high so far has been 6, and the wind chill hasn't left the negative numbers). I'm messing around on the computer. And I've got a stack of books that I would love to dive into....soon!! Although I did go out for some breakfast with the kids, I'm now getting ready to take a HOT bubble bath and throw back on the flannel pj's. There is nothing like a little lounging to make the body feel good!!

As far as the polls go, I'm incredibly boistered to see that my man Barack is doing well!! I love that this country is finally putting aside color and making a decision based on content. If you've ever heard the man speak, you would understand what I mean by this. He really makes me excited about the future of this country! As much as I would love to see a woman in the White House, I really don't think Hillary is the candidate for me. She's a politician through and through. And her sell-out to the health care industry just leaves me with a bad taste.

But enough about politics. I hope all is going well for everyone. I'll try to catch up on your blogs tonight. I seem to have baraged with requests for reviews. That's something I never thought would happen to me!! The review books are pouring in...and I haven't the time to read at all!! So far this month I've received:

  • Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
  • Irreparable Damages by Karlene Heinkel
  • The UnValentine by Sam Beeson
  • The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright
  • The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
  • The Forgery of Venus by Michael Gruber
  • My Soul to Keep by Melanie Wells
  • Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos

Yeah...I've got a lot to do!! Finally, Teddy from So Many Precious Books, So Little Time tagged me for a short little meme. Thought I would play along!

The rules of this particular meme are:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages)
2. Open the book to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence
4. Post the next three sentences
5. Tag five people

So....from Coraline by Neil Gaiman:

"Beside the decapitated rat, a smug expression on it's face, was the black cat. It rested one paw on the gray glass marble. "I think I once mentioned," said the cat, "that I don't like rats at the best of times." "

Hmmmm...that is an interesting quote!! I'm not tagging anyone this time. I'm quite sure you are all tired of my tags.....but please play along if you like!!

Now....It's time for my bubble bath!!

19 comments:

Booklogged said...

Whew! I'm worn out - what a week you've had. Best of luck with the computer stuff. Computers are so wonderful when they are working, but are truly exasperating when they're not.

Stephanie said...

Booklogged - No kidding!! I really need to start shopping for a new computer. This one is starting to get outdated. I hate the expense, but I think it's about time!

chrisa511 said...

God knows you deserve a bubble bath! I can't tell you how bad I feel about your computer problems! Seriously...if I hit the lottery today I'd just buy you the best computer out there so you wouldn't have to worry anymore. Me an my damn Wordpress. You're such a good friend to follow me over there, but I never knew it would cause such a hassle. I hope you get your email back soon!

I've been getting swamped with review books too! There's nothing I love more than free books, but I feel guilty now for reading anything else!

Ana S. said...

That is a great quote! Probably the best one to come out of this meme!

Enjoy your time off, you definitely deserve it!

DesLily said...

well that's a week you could have done without!.. well, except for the day off! Hope you are feeling better now.

never heard of having to upgrade IE to get to wordpress before.. sure hope you find your email!

Stephanie said...

Chris - Oh, I know you didn't mean for any trouble to happen!! And if you DO win the lottery, I might just hold you to it!! Hopefully, within the year, we will be upgrading. Glad to hear you are getting lots of book review offers too!!

Nymeth - I think I have done this meme before, and it wasn't even close to being as great as this quote. I'm hoping to finish Coraline tonight. Mmmmm...still love Gaiman!!

Deslily - Well....I wasn't able to get onto Chris' new blog from day one. He talked to Wordpress for me, and they said IExplorer 6 sometimes had problems. I actually ended up having to uninstall 7.0 because it was affecting my Windows XP. For the moment, though, I can still visit Chris. We'll see how long THAT lasts!!

Debi said...

Okay, I'm exhausted now.

That's quite a pile of review books! Geez...and I thought joining all these reading challenges was pressure. I can't imagine the pressure of review books...though who can argue with free books, huh?

tanabata said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading about your week! As for the computer troubles I say ditch Explorer and download Firefox. But regardless I hope you get it up and running smoothly again. A sick computer is not fun.

chrisa511 said...

I agree with tanabata ;) Explorer has too many problems...Firefox rocks!

Stephanie said...

Debi - Free books are awesome, but I'm starting to doubt whether I can get to all these books!! Man...I guess there are worse problems out there.

Tanabata and Chris - Until yesterday I didn't even know about Firefox. After all the problems I've had the last two days, I may look into switching. Damn Windows!!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I hope you have an excellent day off. Burr--that sounds cold. We were spoiled this weekend with gorgeous weather, but Texas weather is so funny that it could be freezing tomorrow. Enjoy the fire and flannels. :)

Iliana said...

sounds like you've been going a mile a minute! Glad to hear you treated yourself to some lounging.. now about all of those books! :)
I don't have a good excuse - the books are piling up and I can't seem to stay ahead. Oh well, being overwhelmed by books is a good thing!

DesLily said...

hmmm I have IE 7 and the aol browser and both get to Chris's blog .... it probably won't make a difference but I updated Chris's link on my blog try going there from there..

Gentle Reader said...

Wow, you deserve that bubble bath!

Melody said...

Stephanie, you deserve that bubble bath!! Oh, I LOVE Coraline! I can't wait to read your review. Hope you'll have a nice break from all and happy reading! ;)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Can Stephanie come out to play, at least for a few minutes? If so, I have an invitation:

Come on over to Bonnie’s Books (http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/02/awards-ceremony-dress-appropriately.html). Dress up because I’m having an awards ceremony complete with gala. And do bring along your acceptance speech, though the producers are asking that each person receiving an award please limit your speech to five minutes ... save your longer comments for your own blog, when you pass along the award(s).

Kimmie said...

Good luck with the computer. I had to send mine to HP for memory-management problems. I now have a pile of books awaiting their tuwn to get listedon my blog.

Anonymous said...

oh dear... thats so annoying when that happens. and its one of those things that are somehow never easy to sort out!!?

i love that quote you got from the meme! its odd how appropriate these quotes from the meme are turning out to be, isn't it.

Jennifer said...

I read a Marisa DeLosSantos (spelling?) book and really enjoyed it. Called "Love walked in" or something like that. It wasn't a book I would normally choose (not a fan of romances, but it wasn't Hallmark-y like) but picked up at the library on a whim and I really enjoyed it.