Friday, November 27, 2009

Decorate for Dax, St. Jude's and Thanksgiving

This past year, I feel like I have gone through many times of depression and pity parties. And most of the time I feel justified. I'm tired. I work too hard. I don't see my kids enough. Blah, blah, blah. A lot of the time I think I have it rough compared to most people. Then reality smacks me in the face, and I feel ashamed.

The Lockes are a local family. And they are dealing with the ultimate sadness with a grace and dignity that is almost unheard of. Their 2-year-old son Dax is sick. And he is not going to get any better. Sweet little Dax has been a patient of St. Jude's, and is now home to spend his last few weeks. "Decorate for Dax" has become the mantra around here. Because he loves the lights of Christmas, friends, neighbors, and even strangers have come together to share the lights with Dax. People have decorated early. Photos have been sent in from all over the country. And money is being raised for St. Jude's Research. I know how important this is. As a survivor of childhood cancer, I know all too well the value of a place as wonderful and caring as St. Jude's. This year, my kids and I are spending a few days helping a friend (who is a St. Jude's Runner) raise money for the cause. And I donated some of my tips from yesterday in Dax's name. I only wish I could do more.


This story breaks my heart. Please go and read about the sweet, brave little boy. And if you have a few spare dollars, donate them to a cause like St. Jude's. At the Thanksgiving table tonight, I broke down, so incredibly thankful that I don't have to go through what the Locke's are going through today. My kids are healthy and strong. And I thank God every day for that. It makes me feel a bit humbled and ashamed of being such a terror the last few months. And I will work my double shift tomorrow and Saturday.....and I will be incredibly elated to do it: because I know that at the end of the day, I can go home and hug my kids.


If you would like to make a donation in Dax's name, please follow this link.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always really humbling to hear about people coming together in this way to help someone they don't even know. It really helps to put things into perspective, Thanksgiving or not, about our own lives.

Debi said...

Stephanie, thank you. This was such a loving post. I know I get to spend a lot more time with my kids than you do, but there are moments now and then, when I'm exhausted beyond words, when I'm not feeling well, when they're in button-pushing mode, that I honestly fail to appreciate every second with them. This was a heart-wrenching way to be reminded. St. Jude's has long been dear to our hearts, and we try to send them money a few times a year...thanks to you they will be getting a little extra this year, in Dax's name.
*hugs, and more hugs*
Love you, Stephanie.

Tina's Blog said...

Stephanie, Thanks for your post. My daughter was diagnosed with cancer when she was four and has been done with treatment for three and a half years. Hearing that you are a childhood cancer survivor gives me hope for her future.
Families like Dax's are never far from my thoughts and his story breaks my heart. Your post is good reminder to others to keep things in perspective.
Thanks.

Chrisbookarama said...

It really puts things in perspective when you hear things like that.

Nikki in Niagara said...

Watch thou, dear Lord,
with those who wake,
or watch, or weep tonight,
and give thine angels charge
over those who sleep.
Tend thy sick ones, Lord Christ.
Rest thy weary ones.
Bless thy dying ones.
Soothe thy suffering ones.
Pity thine afflicted ones.
Shield thy joyous ones.
And all, for thy love's sake.
Amen.
-St. Augustine

I will pray for Dax and his family, Stephanie. Please let me know when he passes into God's hands.

Kathleen said...

Thank you for the post. For something positive (people coming together) to grow out of something horribly negative (Dax's illness) is what still gives me hope for humankind. And it is a great reminder of all we have to be thankful for and to hold our loved ones close.

chrisa511 said...

Thanks for this post Steph. So sad about Dax, but so wonderful to hear about so many people, including yourself doing so many wonderful things to make his life happier while he's here with us. You're a gem Steph.

Carl V. Anderson said...

A lovely post. It is so important for us to keep people like this in mind all the time, but especially during the season that is supposedly the 'season of giving'. I cannot fathom the tragedy of losing a child, even less so watching this occur during the holiday season. I hope and pray that Dax's family gets all the time together that they possibly can.

Eva said...

Awww: that's so sad. :( Makes me want to cuddle my niece as soon as I get to see her on Saturday. That's so wonderful that everyone's decorating just for him though.

David James said...

Apna Showroom Baby Boy's and Girl's Woolen Sweaters/Inner Vest for 0-3-6-9-12-18 months 1-2 years newborn baby sweaters (Multicolour) Unisex
When i saw first time i have feeling for something .. You are my one