Saturday, November 21, 2009

Having a Rory Gilmore Moment......


I never once watched The Gilmore Girls when it was on TV. We have DirecTV, and can not get the CW channel. So for over 7 seasons, I missed out on this FANTASTIC show. When I was off work, with my arm in a sling about 2 months ago, I really wanted to spend time reading. But every single time I picked up a book, I fell sound asleep. Probably partly from the sheer exhaustion that had built up, and partly from all the pain medication. So....I went to the library to try to find something that would hold my interest.....and I stumbled across the first few seasons of The Gilmore Girls. And I fell in love. Absolutely, truly in love. For those of you that haven't watched the show, it's about a single mother, Loreli, and her teen daughter, Rory. And Rory is a reader.

Now...to the Rory moment: Because we have been slow at work, I've spent more than a lunch hour reading. Lately, I have taken to carrying a tote bag to work with me. It's just more convenient. I throw my small purse in it, a bottle of soda, a bottle of water. My written reading journal. And books. Not just one either. But a few.

Last night, I was sitting in the break area, and my co-worker came up to me and peered in my bag. Tom looked at me kind of funny. Then he asked me, "Why do you have so many books? You can't possibly read them all." How do you explain it to a non-reader?? The fear of not having something to read. Well. I tried. I said, "Tom. Look. This is the fiction book I'm reading right now. It's a paranormal/Gothic book. But in case that doesn't interest me at the moment, I have another fiction book. It's historical fiction. I'm also reading a book of essays. I have a de Lint book of Newford Short Stories going. Oh...there's also a graphic novel thrown in there. Just in case the mood strikes me. And finally, a memoir. Non-fiction. A girl just doesn't ever know what she is going to be in the mood for when she leaves the house."

Apparently, I did a lousy job of explaining. Tom looked at me like I had just sprouted a third eye. Oh well. Check out the video below. See why I adore Rory. It's me!! Is it really a sickness? On a side note, I did see that someone was doing a "Rory" Challenge. I. Must. Join.

21 comments:

Janssen said...

I LOVE Gilmore Girls. It is one of the best shows there is.

Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I love Girlmore Girls!! A non-reader would never understand the need to have multiple books, the fear of finishing a book and not having another.

WordLily said...

I'm so glad you've discovered the Gilmore Girls! They're one of my favorites. You're certainly not alone in needing multiple books, not among readers!

Tif Sweeney said...

LOL!! I've never watched Gilmore Girls, but I've heard good things about it. Maybe I should check it out?!? Either way, your post made me laugh!! Aaahhh, to have someone understand is awesome!! I get those looks all the time and my office mate literally calls me a geek because of it!! I'm a proud geek though!! :)

Shona said...

I love this series too. I always made sure I caught every episode. Few days back I found a goodreads group with rory's books. I have started a personal reading project of reading the books mentioned in the show.

Eva said...

LOL I totally buy big purses so I can carry more books! :D

I watched Gilmore Girls when it was on and I was in high school-Rory and I were same grade, I think, so that was fun. :)

Kathleen said...

What a great video clip! I have had so many Rory moments...especially when I am packing up books to go on a trip. Now that I have my Kindle it makes it easier for me to bring tons of books when I go on a trip but I still can't resist bringing a stack of printed books too!

Anonymous said...

lol, I never watched The Gilmore Girls, but after seeing the above, I'm wondering why not! That is hilarious. I always have two-to-three books in my bag. Feel incomplete without 'em...

Hazra said...

I watched Gilmore Girls recently too, at the pestering of my friends, and I totally get Rory's book addiction. I was so happy they had a character like her, who reads in every spare moment she finds; she's so much like us booklovers.

Vasilly said...

I love The Gilmore Girls. It's such a great show. I signed up for the Rory Gilmore challenge also.

Teddy Rose said...

I have never seen The Gilmore Girls before but I so loved that clip. It is so me!

Carl V. Anderson said...

The banter between the characters was always so clever on this show. I am glad that you are discovering it and getting a chance to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't see every episode, but my wife and daughter caught it every week. Those episodes I could catch were always a delight.

Chrisbookarama said...

I loved the Gilmore Girls! I was so sad when it ended.

Not sure what challenge you're referring to but Shona is doing the Rory Gilmore Project where she reads all the books mentioned in the show.

Andi said...

Bah! I can't hear the clip because the crap computer I'm on at work doesn't have speakers. However, I willlll be watching this when I get home. Somehow I suspect I might like this series, and I've never watched a single episode.

S. Krishna said...

LOL, I love it! I miss Gilmore Girls!

Ladytink_534 said...

I never watched The Gilmore Girls either while it was on but I've seen bits and pieces of it since.

Momma Chick said...

Oh I LOVE LOVE this show! I watch the reruns all the time since there are no more new ones!

My DH the "non-reader" does not understand why I always have 2 books with me at times. I mean what if I finish the one I have? Then what will I do?

Anonymous said...

Love this show.. You're not one of them who like to watch Gilmore Girls.. Season 7 is really fantastic.. I have watched it..

Lesley said...

You know, I've never seen a single episode of The Gilmore Girls, but now I want to!

One of the plusses about working in a library is that I never have to explain my reading habits or why my desk is littered with so many books!

Kitchen Benchtops said...

The best thing about this show is that you don't need any laughter in the scene to prompt laughter it comes naturally.

David James said...

Apna_Showroom Baby Alphabets ABCD Letters Magnet for Baby to Teach Easily
i buy 2 home one in sector 12 and 1 in gurgaon DLF