Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Once Upon a Time.....




That's it! I'm certifiably crazy! Another challenge, you say?? Sure. Just add my name. But this one is a challenge that I am REALLY looking forward to. It's a Fantasy challenge. After finishing American Gods by Neil Gaiman, I can see myself firmly planting myself in this genre. It is hosted by the most helpful Carl V at Stainless Steel Droppings and is to take place from March 22 (the first day of Spring) and run till June 21st (Midsummer Night's Eve).

Not only is it just a mere challenge....it's a QUEST! "A chance to celebrate spring, the time of rebirth and renewal, by experiencing the type of storytelling that connects us with our past." So, I have decided I will challenge myself to Quest #3. Here are my selections:

  • Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan - Fairytale
  • Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman - Folklore
  • The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley - Mythology
  • The Skewed Throne by Joshua Palmatier - Fantasy
  • A Midsummer's Night Dream by Shakespeare

I think that's a pretty good list. The Mists of Avalon is a classic, and I've never read it. Always "one of these days". Well....I guess that day is here. Anansi Boys seemed easy since I just read American Gods. And The Skewed Throne is nominated this year for the Compton Crook Award.

So....it's off to Fantasyland for me!!

Later!

9 comments:

chrisa511 said...

You'll love Anansi Boys. The writing is just as good as American Gods, but it's quite funny at times. Great list!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Fantastic list. I echo Chris, I think you'll like Anansi Boys, eventhough it has a different tone than AG. Speaking of American Gods, if you liked it, I suggest picking up a copy of the anthology Legends II or Neil Gaiman's book Fragile Things as there is a short story, Monarch of the Glen, featuring Shadow that takes place after the events of American Gods.

Stephanie said...

Thanks Guys! Yeah...I loved American Gods. I have Fragile Things on my list of Must Read Gaiman now!

Kailana said...

You should read Stardust, don't forget Stardust! I really liked that book.

And I am so happy to see Mists of Avalon on your list. I swear, I am a Marion Zimmer Bradley fangirl. So sad she has passed :( I'd love if when you read it you would guest review it on TK?

Andi said...

Ugg, this challenge is SO tempting! I know I say that about all of them, but this one is REALLY REALLY tempting!

Literary Feline said...

Oooo! Mists of Avalon is one of my all time favorite books. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. Or even just half as much. :-) The others you've listed sound intriguing also! Good luck with the challenge!

Fence said...

So many people are coming up with such great suggestions that I can feel my bank balance shrinking *g*

Aarti said...

Everyone's talking Anansi Boys and Mists of Avalon, so I will just add that I think Faerie Wars is great fun! I reviewed that some time ago on my blog (the audiobook) and plan to pick up the sequels. Some day!

pat said...

Great list, I'm having fun checking out everyone's blog...and adding to my wish list.