Thursday, June 21, 2007

School Days, Golden Rule Days.....



B00king Through Thursday

Since school is out for the summer (in most places, at least), here’s a school-themed question for the week:

Do you have any old school books? Did you keep yours from college? Old textbooks from garage sales? Old workbooks from classes gone by?

How about your old notes, exams, papers? Do you save them? Or have they long since gone to the great Locker-in-the-sky?


Well....it's been awhile since I was in school. OK....not THAT long ago, but almost 15 years since I graduated college. Sheesh.....now I'm starting to feel OLD! I kept most of my literature books. I still have them, occupying a sacred spot on my bookshelf. There is Madame Bovary, The Dwarf, Cassandra, some plays by Ibsen, some anthologies and a few others. I also have a few of my systems textbooks. I actually use them occasionally. Everything else....gone! I actually regret getting rid of a few of my histories texts, but I couldn't dispose of my statistics and calc texts fast enough!

I saved a lot of my papers and notes each year. But I left them at my Mom and Dad's house. When Dad retired, they moved to new digs. Mom said I could take anything that I wanted. I just didn't have room for anything. I was kind of surprised my mom got rid of everything, but that's just the way she is. She's not nearly the pack rat I am!


Later!



9 comments:

Plain Jane said...

It doesn't seem possible, but I've been out of college for 42 years now. I'm still hanging on to a few papers but unfortunately made the mistake of tossing a big box that was in my parents' attic when they moved. I'm still kicking myself.

Chris said...

I sold the math books as soon as I could!

Julia said...

I kept all my notes, papers and poem in a red chest box that had key lock in them. It was kept in there along with my childhood stuff. It still hidden in my closet. The box have not been open in awhile, but sometime every couple of years I would open it just to remember who I was/am

Thanks for visiting my blog, Happy BTT!

Julia-Yen

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Well, you should't feel too old... I've been out of college longer than you :) I only have a few papers and things, no textbooks. My husband has some boxed up in our attic though.

Oh, and on the mom not being a packrat, while you are - same here. When my mom was alive, she'd throw out anything and everything. She didn't keep things for sentimental reasons or practical reasons or anything. I think she's the one who formed me into the packrat I am today :)

Happy Reading!!!

Marianne Arkins said...

I graduated H.S. twenty-three years ago, so I'm right there with you. Started, but didn't finish, college... and sold those textbooks so fast my head spun.

I'm so NOT a pack rat. That can be a bad thing sometimes.

Thanks for swinging by and happy BTT!

Estella said...

I keep all of my textbooks (novels, lit theory, etc.) now, but I didn't when I was an undergrad. I would give a kidney to have my totally-awesome-but-underappreciated-at-the-time religion textbook back. *sigh*

Andi said...

Oops, that was me!

Melody said...

I've only have some notes from my administrative course, other than that everything's gone. Took up too much space. *sigh*

Bookfool said...

The statistics book ended up on my husband's work shelf - I always thought that was funny.