Saturday, July 7, 2007

Around the World in my Chair


Yes...I finally succumbed to the temptation of yet another challenge. But since I have most of these books on my list for my Around the World in 80 Books reading group, I figured this one would be an easy challenge to complete. Besides, I just like to sign up for challenges!! Whether I complete all the reading or not, I seem to meet some of the nicest people!! The Armchair Traveler Reading Challenge is hosted by A Life in Books. The trick is to read books that will take you around the world without ever leaving the comfort of your own home. It runs from July to December of this year. Should be fun!!

Here is a list of books that I am going to try to read for this challenge:




  • Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson - England


  • In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson - Australia


  • The Zahir by Paulo Coelho - Paris, Madrid and Kazakstan


  • The City of Fallen Angels by John Berendt - Venice, Italy


  • Japanland: A Year in Search of Wa by Karin Muller - Japan


  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - Afghanistan


  • Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie - Russia (this one is an extra that I really hope to get through!)


That should take me around the world to places I may never see in person!



Later!

8 comments:

Gentle Reader said...

Sounds like a great list! I've been debating about joining this challenge, too. Looks like a fun one...

kookie said...

I'm going to read 'In a Sunburned Country' as well. I wasn't going to but I just finished a book about New Zealand and since I'm in the area...;)

darkorpheus said...

I read The City of Fallen Angels last year and I've enjoyed it. He makes the Venetians look complicated and subtle, but eccentric and alluring at the same time. And there's that whole "mystery" of the stolen Ezra Pound letters, and the burning down of the Fenice Opera House.

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I have.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun list! I need to give Bill Bryson a go soon, he seems to be well loved by all who have read him. If you fancy a good one on the North of England try Pies and Prejudice by Steve Maconie, very funny and informative.

Bellezza said...

I love Bill Bryson, and I really want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. It sounds like you have great choices. Now I wish I would've joined this Challenge, too.

Andi said...

Woohoo! Welcome to the madness (and the challenge). :D

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

And you called ME a sucker!! I have sworn off any new challenges (but I had already signed up for this one). Some great picks! Am reading City of Falling Angels for this one also - and of course just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns. Good luck with this!

Bookfool said...

Great list! I've been having loads of fun traveling. I've read both the Bryson books, some time ago, and loved them. Actually, I could stand a Bryson fix, soon.