Saturday, March 8, 2008

This Series Just Gets Better and Better


Last Sunday, the girls and I went out for Brunch and a little side-trip to Barnes and Noble. While I was perusing the shelves, I stumbled up this one: Chosen: A House of Night Novel by PC Cast and Kristin Cast (320 pgs, St. Martin's Press). This is book number 3 and I was almost giddy when I saw it. I couldn't believe my eyes. This book wasn't supposed to be released till March!! Then I realized it WAS March, which is just more evidence that I am TOTALLY losing it!! So basically, all the other books on my pile got pushed aside, so I could read this one. Besides, it's a selection that I'm using for Joy's Young Adult Challenge.

WARNING: There may be spoilers of previous books, especially Betrayed in this review. If you haven't read it yet, you might want to skip to the last 2 paragraphs!!

"Yep, I have a seriously sucky birthday," I told my cat, Nala. And Zoey Redbird couldn't be more accurate with that statement!! First of all her birthday is December 24th, and everyone always gets her Christmas themed birthday presents. Her mother has basically given up on her. Her step-loser (uh, step-father) is an elder in the People of Faith church. They believe that all Vampyres are evil, and now some not-so-veiled threats have been received. Her best friend, Stevie Rae, "died" at the last Full Moon Ritual. But I guess you have to use that term loosely. When a fledgling is "marked", the change process to become an adult Vampyre begins. Not all fledglings survive the change because their bodies reject it. Some die. But Stevie Rae's death was actually another type of change. Because now she has become "undead", almost a caricature of what people believe vampires to be: full of bloodlust, only can move at night, and rather evil. But at least in Stevie Rae's case, a small part of her humanity is still present and Z wants to help her.

Then there's the fact that she has 3 boyfriends. The wonderful Erik Night, who is an upperclassman at the House of Night and a total catch. Her human ex-boyfriend, Heath who doesn't really want to be an ex. Ever since Zoey drank a little of his blood, they Imprinted and Heath just can't leave Zoey alone. And then there is Loren Blake, the Vampyre poet Laureate. He's gorgeous, sensitive, an adult Vampyre and a teacher to boot. Completely off-limit to students, but he really has a thing for Z.

Finally, there is Neferet, the High Priestess at the House of Night. She was Zoey's mentor and friend, until she betrayed her. Zoey knows she has something to do with the Undead fledglings and Stevie Rae. Zoey knows in her heart that Neferet represents something evil, but she doesn't know what to do about it. She can't even discuss it with her friends. Since Neferet has the ability to read minds, the little her friends know, the safer they will be. Zoey feels awful about lying to them, but she really is doing it for her own good. Then there is Aphrodite....Zoey's sworn enemy. When Zoey took over control of the Dark Daughters from Aphrodite, Neferet told everyone that the Goddess Nyx had withdrawn Aphrodite's powers to see the future. But that wasn't true. And since Neferet was unable to read Aphrodite, she turns out to be the one person who can really help her navigate her way through the mess her life has become!

When Zoey and Aphrodite stumble across the body of one the adult vampyre professors, it's almost a certainly that something bad is on the horizon. A war between the humans and the vampyres is coming and Zoey is trapped smack dab in the middle.

Can I just say now how much I really LOVE this series?? With that said, I really hated the ending of this book. I do realize Chosen ended in a way that will lead us to the next book. Zoey is a wonderful character: she is strong, smart and vulnerable at the same time. When she makes mistakes, she tries to own up to them and that makes her something special. She has been blessed by Nyx with an affinity for ALL the elements AND the spirit. Again, that is something that has never happened before. She is definitely a High Priestess in training. She just needs to figure out who she can really trust and find a way to do something about all the drama that has become her life!

This book was fantastic, even with the ending that I didn't like. Doesn't make it a bad book. Just leaves me on pins and needles until the next book is out. And I can't WAIT until Untamed, Book 4 in the House of Night series is released later this year!! 4.5/5

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool I didn't know book three was out. I am so looking forward to reading this series.

Framed said...

I'm really starting to get into these YA vampire novels. This one sounds good so I skipped most of your review to keep the suspense when I get to read these.

samantha.1020 said...

I put the first one on my TBR..nice review!

chrisa511 said...

Ha! I knew that this post was going to be about this book just by the title before I even read it. I know how much you like this series. I still haven't started it! But I have the first book sitting on my shelf thanks to Eva and I'm reading it this year for the young adult challenge. If I haven't read it by RIP III, then it will DEFINITELY get read then!

Melody said...

Wow! I didn't even know this book is already out! Thanks for the heads up, and the great review as well. ;)

Jill said...

I have been meaning to read something by these authors, but haven't gotten around to it yet. There seem to be several series. Which one would you recommend that I start with? Thanks!

The Bookworm said...

I'm going to add these to my TBR list. They sound good.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

jenclair said...

I wasn't familiar with this series, but have added the first two to my list. Thanks1