Tuesday, January 9, 2007

1st Book this year!


Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakthrough by Isabel Sharpe was sent to me by Harper Collins to review. At first I thought this was going to be one of your average, run-of-the-mill "Chick Lit" books. But I was wrong. This book is so much more than that! It is the story of 3 women that live in Kettle, WI, a town where nothing BAD every happen. Sarah is the perfect wife, mother, and citizen of Kettle. She is polished and proper, the unofficial head of the Kettle Social Club, and appearances are EVERYTHING to Sarah. But her marriage is falling apart. Her husband has taken her for granted and her teenage daughter is rebelling, something Sarah never would have done. Erin is a shy, mousy woman, who hides the things that her husband does to her behind closed doors. I mean, nothing bad could every happen in Kettle, right? Just as she hid the things her father did to her before she was married. And Vivian, who has just returned to Kettle to live in her Grandmother's house. She is trying to pick up the pieces of her life since she has been acquitted of murdering her husband. She is brash and brazen and the media has had a field day with this "bad" girl. All she wants to do is blend in and not make any waves until the media has given up an her.
What do these women have in common? On the outside, it would seem to be nothing. But really they are alot more alike than even they want to admit. This story is more about becoming who you really are and putting away the masks that we hide behind. It is a tale of courage and struggle, friendship and love. I was very impressed with this book. It shows just how complex people really are. The characters were certainly NOT one-dimensional and I enjoyed the story alot. 4/5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Review! Sounds like another one I'm going to have to add to my TBR pile.

Chris said...

Sounds pretty good. Nice start to the year.

Lotus Reads said...

It does sound like a good read - I might be tempted to give it a whirl after I'm done with these book challenges! :)

Thanks for the nice review!

W said...

Nice review -- this book sounds right up my alley!

Lisa