Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Another Harper Collins Review!




Did anyone else out there know there REALLY IS a Body Farm? And it's located at the University of Tennessee?? Everyone else knew this?? That's what my husband said anyway!! OK...so I've never HEARD of the Body Farm. Flesh and Bone by Jefferson Bass is actually written by 2 Doctors from the REAL body farm. So if you are a CSI fan, then this book will probably appeal to you. And you if you are "faint at heart" pass right on by! There are some seriously graphic scenes in this book. A couple dealing with maggots and blowflys that even I had to skim! That being said, I really liked this book. It is the second in a new series of books about the Body Farm, which is where they study dead bodies! Dr. Bill Brocton is the director of the Body Farm and a professor at the University of Tennessee. When he is isn't teaching, he's consulting on crime scenes as a forensics expert for the police or the FBI. When he gets a call from Dr. Jess Carter, about helping recreate a crime scene, he jumps at the chance. Jess is the Medical Examiner for part of the state, and also a woman he has feelings for. He hasn't dated anyone since his wife passed and Jess is the first woman he has desired in quite awhile, though she is only recently divorced.

A man's body was found, dressed in a blonde wig and black corset, hanging from a tree in the woods near Chattenooga. Is it a hate crime or something else? Jess and Bill are trying to determine who the man was and why he was killed. Bill is also trying to fend off a lawsuit brought on by a religious organization that wants creationism taught in the classrooms. When the murder victim is identified as a known pedophile, things get even worse. I really can't say much more without giving away any key items in the plot.

I thought this was a good, solid read. The mystery was enough to keep me intrigued, and so were the human interest issues. Aside from all the gory dead body stuff, I really enjoyed Flesh and Bone! 4/5


3 comments:

Chris said...

I heard of the farm, in reference to CSI. It was on one of those entertainment shows. I think it might be too gory for me! Glad you liked it though.

Kailana said...

gah, I am a slacker. Can we extend the reading of the first pages of The Crimson Petal to Saturday? I got really overloaded and haven't read since like the 5th...

moonbeam said...

Ohhhh, this sounds right up my alley!!! Def checking to see if my library has Flesh and Bone! Thanks for the review, Steph! And GO BEARS!!!