Monday, June 30, 2008

The LOST Books Challenge

My Friend Amy
Yeah...I know. What am I thinking?? Well....I just couldn't help this one. LOST is probably my very favorite TV show. And I'm going to be going through withdrawals until it comes back....and that's not till January!! So instead, I joined the LOST Books Challenge, hosted by Amy, from My Friend Amy. If you've ever watched LOST, you know that books are a huge part of it. Sawyer, my very favorite character, is always reading. Episodes are named after books. The Others ever had a book club. So this challenge is to read 5 books that have been on or mentioned in the show. Here are the rules:

1) Check out this site, and this site and compile a list of 5 books and upwards that you want to read to complete this challenge. (If you know another book mentioned on the show or relating to the show, you can defend your choice in your post) Update: If you have not finished watching the show, please use this list, so as not to be spoiled!
2) Write a post on your blog announcing your intention to participate in the challenge, list the books you want to read, and invite your readers to do the same. Then come back here and add a direct link to your post to Mr. Linky. (not a general link to your url)
3) You are absolutely welcome to cross books from this challenge with books in other challenges.
4) You must complete the challenge by December 31st, 2008.
5) There will be prizes raffled for those who complete the challenge, I just haven't figured out what yet!
6) If you are not a blogger, you can email me your plan to participate and I'll make a post for you right here on my blog...see? I love you too!

Here are the books I've chosen:
  • The Invention of Morel by Aldofo Bioy Casares (from Sawyer's List)
  • Bad Twin by Gary Troup (the "author" of this book was on Oceanic Flight 815 when it was LOST at sea!)
  • Valis by Phillip K. Dick (from The Other's Reading list)
  • Through the Looking Glass (and Alice in Wonderland) by Lewis Carrol (The Looking Glass is a Dharma station, and it was the name of one episode).
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor by Jules Verne (was being read by Regina on the Freighter before she killed herself)

EXTRA:

  • Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens (from Desmond's List)
  • Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein (name of an episode)
  • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (from Sawyer's List)

If you are a fan of LOST like I am, this might be a fun challenge to join!!

9 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Our Mutual Friend is a chunkster but I loved it (Dickens is surprisingly hilarious!). Have a great time with the challenge!!

Stephanie said...

Trish - I'm going to try. The extra list is mostly just for me!! I only need 5 to complete the challenge. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I don't watch Lost, but I may give this a try. I'm going to wait and see what books other bloggers recommend, then I can select the books I want to read. I've become obsessed with book challenges!

Stephanie said...

Bobbi - You and me both!! I guess there are worse things to be obsessed with!!

Amy said...

Thanks so much for joining in Stephanie! You've chosen some interesting ones. I want to read Bad Twin, as well. ;)

heather (errantdreams) said...

What a fun theme for a challenge!

Debi said...

Oh my gosh...finally a challenge I can say "no" to, since I've never seen Lost. Hope you get to Of Mice and Men...I love that book!

Kelly said...

What a fantastic sounding challenge, I am tempted! If only to help me have thoughts of Sawyer...
the blogger formally known as a.book.in.the.life

The Bookworm said...

wow, I didnt know there was a LOST challenge, what a great idea.
I'm a huge fan of the show :o)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/