Friday, November 7, 2008

Since I'm the Last Person on the Planet.....



to read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (554 pgs, Little, Brown Young Readers, 2006) I'm not even sure if I should review it!! But I guess I will give a try. Actually, the reason I picked it up at this time is because Chad told me I had to read it. His reading teacher at school had all the kids in her 7th grade class read it for AR. When the movie comes out, she's taking the class to see it. THIS was the book Chad couldn't put down!! I even went out yesterday and bought him New Moon, because he is still on the waiting list at school and he was getting frustrated. Can't have that!!

I'd never given much thought to how I would die -- though I'd had reason enough in the last few months -- but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this. I stared without breathing across the long room, into the dark eyes of the hunter, and he looked pleasantly back at me. Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of someone else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.

When Bella made the decision to move to Forks, Washington, to live with her father, she really had no idea just how drastically her life would change. Sure, Forks, with all it's rainy darkness, was world's away from the sun of Phoenix. The school was so much smaller than her old school, Bella worried she wouldn't fit in. And yet, in a matter of days, she seems to be the object of obsession for most of the guys in town. And she makes friends quickly. This should be a good thing, right??

But Bella isn't interested in the boys in her school. Except for one. She is unusually drawn to Edward Cullen, one the "beautiful" people. Edward and his "family" are rich, beautiful....and dangerous. You see, they are a family of vampires.

When I read The Host by Stephenie Meyer, I was completely blown away. I still contend it is probably the best book I've read all year. Maybe it's a timing thing. I know a lot of people preferred the Twilight series. And while I highly enjoyed this book, I still think The Host was better.

Meyer has a way of completely sucking you into the stories she writes. I had a hard time putting this book down, even though it was rather slow getting to the "action", so to speak. The majority of this book is spent on getting to know the characters. We learn....slowly....WHAT Edward is. Meyer's gives us a different take of vampire legends. Edward and his family have a conscious. They don't hunt people, even though most of their kind does.

I really liked Edward and his vampire family. I liked learning their history and why they made the choices they did and live the way they do. And when the conflict (FINALLY) presents itself, I like how they band together to resolve it.

My biggest complaint about the book turns out the to be "human" factor....Bella. At first, I liked her. She's different than most teenage girls. She's not scared of Edward...even though she should be. She's curious. But she takes too many chances, and puts people she loves at risk. And she's whiny. EXTREMELY whiny. By the end of the book, I wanted to throttle her. Her "Don't Leave Me" mantra was almost more than I could take. I love a strong female protagonist. And Bella started out that way....but by the end of the book, she was clingy, whiny and so controlled that it almost ruined my enjoyment of the book.

I can see why Twilight is so popular, especially for the younger set. It's the ultimate "forever and ever" love story. It's heartwarming to see soul mates find each other. However, I'm not sure this one will have that fairy tale ending. I don't really see how it can work. But it gives a person hope. And for all my criticisms, I DID enjoy the book. I just hope I want to smack Bella less in the next one! 4/5

31 comments:

Marg said...

Uh-oh. I am not sure how you will go with wanting to smack Bella less in the next couple of books, but I guess we'll find out in due course!

Anonymous said...

You'll totally want to smack her more in the next one, but you should still read them. The series as a whole is really good.

Ladytink_534 said...

Nope, you're not the last person. I have the first two books but I still haven't gotten around to reading them yet...

Anonymous said...

Diddo what Ladythink, said: I too haven't read this series yet. Honestly, I don't think I ever will. I remember reading something very similar to this series when I was in high school (can't for the life of me remember the title) and I think I burned myself out on these kinds of teenage vampire stories. Still very good review! I hope you like the next one in the series even more!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I haven't read them yet, either. But I really will, someday!

FatalisFortuna said...

Ditto to smallworld... I've GOT to read Twilight before the movie though!

Anonymous said...

It's a great book, fantastic to see books for younger readers making big hits...anything that gets kids reading is good news :)

Andi said...

I love this series, and I feel sure I will re-read it many times in the years to come, but she does get SO ANNOYING at times. That's why you need to read Claudia Gray's Evernight, too! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have read Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. I enjoyed the first one but the rest...not as much.

Framed said...

Great review. I didn't want to smack Bella so much until the second book. She is so whiny in that one. But I had to read all three and couldn't put them down. Totally engrossing in spite of Bella's character flaws. I think it's because there's always Edward.

Kathleen said...

You're not the last. I haven't read anything by Stephanie Meyer.

Kelly said...

I had read so much about them on people's blogs that I devoured all of them over the summer. I enjoyed them but I have to agree Bella got annoying!

Melody said...

I enjoyed this series, Stephanie! Wait till you get to the last instalment, hehe...

I've heard a lot of great things on The Host so I can't wait to read this!

Serena said...

I agree...Bella needed to be smacked on many occasions...wait until book 2! LOL

I really loved The Host, and I loved it more than the Twilight series.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

LOL--not the last, Stephanie! :) I don't plan on reading these for a while--not sure what I have against them, just not interested right now. A friend suggested it for our bookclub and I secretly cringed! OK--everyone can stop throwing rotten fruit my way. :)

Tif Sweeney said...

I'm new to your blog and loving it!! Anyways, about the books, I really like them (but do not love them!), and believe that they get better as you go! Personally, I think that the character of Jacob is the reason that I personally loved them so much! Edward actually really got on my nerves after the first one!! I haven't read The Host yet, but it's sitting on TBR bookcase!! I will eventually get to it!! Oh, and if you are interested, I've reviewed all these books on my book blog too! I've listed the links for you below in case you are interested in hearing my thoughts . . .

http://tiftalksbooks.blogspot.com/2008/01/twilight-by-stephanie-meyer.html

http://tiftalksbooks.blogspot.com/2008/01/new-moon-by-stephanie-meyer.html

http://tiftalksbooks.blogspot.com/2008/01/eclipse-by-stephanie-meyer.html

http://tiftalksbooks.blogspot.com/2008/08/breaking-dawn-by-stephanie-meyer.html

samantha.1020 said...

You aren't the last person as I haven't read this yet either. I will get to it eventually though. Great review!

Debi said...

Wrong...not the last person. For whatever reason, I just can't bring myself to read them. Just can't. Annie adores them, but even she can't get me read them. Sometimes I just have no excuse for my petulant behavior. But I sure am glad you enjoyed it!

Melody said...

Stephanie, I've also tagged you for a bookish meme. Hope you'll play! ;)

Michelle said...

You are definately not the last. I have not read any of this series!! It is one that I am interested in though. Thanks for the review!

S. Krishna said...

I read the Twilight series first, but enjoyed The Host more as well.

trish said...

We should have a "last to read Twilight" group. I just finished it less than a month ago. I had lots of issues with the book, but I'm told I'm reading waaaayyy too much into it and not enjoying it for what it is. :-)

In my opinion, Bella's even worse in the second book, but I'll be interested in your take on that.

Laura said...

I haven't read the series either, but not for any particular reason. I might pick them up sometime down the road, but I'm not in any hurry. Do you plan to see the movie?

Carl V. Anderson said...

You aren't the last, I haven't read a one of them. I did check this out from the library once but ended up not even picking it up again before the due date. Maybe someday.

Kim L said...

Don't worry, you aren't actually the last person on the planet, cuz I haven't read it yet. I'm adding it to my Christmas list, in the assumption there's no way I'd get a chance with the library.

I actually have been interested in them more because of the movie trailer than the multitude of reviews. I told my husband he'll be taking me to see the movie when it comes out. Only fair, since I went to see Quantum of Solace this past weekend!

Anonymous said...

Nope Bella will get more and more annoying! Luckily Jacob becomes more important and he is a great character. I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part.

Anonymous said...

MMhhh, if you had an issue with her in the first book, then I am positive you will have a HUGE issue with her in the 2nd , but then again can you blame bella? for acting the way she does?? ... but by the time you get to the last two book, which in my opinion are the best ( if you liked getting to know the Cullens history, you will love the last two, which goes into more detail about the Cullens and other Vampires && Jacobs Tribe) Bella character grows by the last two, you really will enjoy the series, && this book isnt for little teens, in fact the last book isnt very appropriate for young teens, but overall the series is great.

I havent gotten around to reading The host, its sitting on my book shelf, but I cant wait =]

Maggs said...

I know what you mean about Bella, she was a bit annoying at times. But I just loved her story with Edward.

I've read all the books and really enjoyed them all, except Breaking Dawn which I felt was really disappointing.

I really want to read The Host! :)

Staci said...

Loved your thoughts about "Host." I think it is better written than the Twilight series too. I'm a middle school librarian so I have to warn the kids that they can't read the host and think that it will be anything like Twilight!!

Anonymous said...

You will grow to love her by Eclipse and Breaking Dawn if not at least you will fall more in love with Edwards and his family, and of course Jacob,

Stephanie does have a way to suck you in.

Eclispe is my favorite out of the four books.

You learn so much about the characters.

Books one and two are developing the plots for Eclipse and Breaking Dawn.

Ray said...

Hi There! Just want to inform your readers (especially chinese ones) that Twilight in Chinese is now available at Childbook.com. Chinese Twilight.