Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thanks For Introducing Me to this Book!!! BBAW



From the BBAW Website, here is today's assignment:

Can you believe it’s already Day 4 of BBAW? Where has the time gone? Well hopefully you’ve discovered plenty of new book blogs to clog up your RSS feed readers and introduce you to more marvelous books throughout the year! But let’s talk about that book you know, the one you discovered only because you read about it on a book blog and then you realized you couldn’t live without it! And then you read it and you loved it so hard! Tell us about it and about the blogger (or bloggers!) that introduced the book to you!

Well, as you could probably tell from yesterday's 5 words answers, I don't do very well following directions!! It's not like I don't READ them. I do. I just choose to ignore them, and make up my own. Besides, since I've started blogging, I have read some of the most wonderful books!! And I'd have to say that 95% of the credit goes to bloggers. With that said, I'm going to list a few more than just one. Because, when you say that book, the one you can't live without - I say there are more than just one!!


When I started blogging, I discovered Neil Gaiman. I haven't read anything that he's written that has been a disappointment to me. Not in the least. But one of the best of his books so far has been Neverwhere. I read this one last year for the Once Upon a Time Challenge. It was through urging from Carl. Although Gaiman has legends of fans (me included), Carl could possibly be one of his biggest!!



Preludes & Noctures: The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman is the very first graphic novel that I've ever read. Not only did I love it, I was blown away by the awesomeness of it!! The story itself is a first-rate fantasy tale, but the artwork is amazing. I can't remember exactly who the first person was to bring up this series, but I'd lay money on a couple of people: Carl, Chris, and Debi. And because it's a graphic novel, I'm throwing Nymeth in to boot. Because she is one of the people that pushed me into reading a GN in the first place.



Moon Called by Patricia Briggs is the first book in the Mercy Thompson series. There is just something so incredibly appealing to me about books with strong female characters. And Mercy is definitely one of the strongest. This isn't great literature, by any means. But it's escapism at it's best: it's fun, fast, and exciting. I first read about this from Kailana. She reads enough fantasy/paranormal/speculative fiction, that if she likes it, I'm positive I will too!





Looking for Alaska is another book that I give full-credit to bloggers for. It's quite possible the first review of this book came from the phenomenal Dewey. In fact, I'm sure that's the first place I saw it. But since that time, it was Nymeth, Chris, and most recently Debi that pushed me over the edge to read this WONDERFUL book. Have you ever felt like you were a better person for reading a certain book? THIS is one of those books.





I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith is such a new read for me, I haven't even had a chance to review it yet. In fact, I just finished it this morning. But I wanted to add it to the list because it was completely and utterly delightful!! And I wanted to give Nymeth peace of mind. Since I had a less than stellar reaction to one of her favorite books, I just wanted to let her know how fabulous I though I Capture the Castle was! So much so that I need to savour it for a few days before I write the review.

Don't forget to sign up for my Hush, Hush Giveaway!!

Happy BBAW!

11 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Dewey introduced me to Neil Gaiman. And so many other books. I truly miss her.

BBAW: Thanking Feminist Review

Kailana said...

I am so glad that I have introduced people to Patricia Briggs because she is such a fantastic author and everyone should read her. :)

Debi said...

LOL...you know, I think you and the people you mentioned in this post are probably responsible for 95% of the books I read anymore!!!! But hey, that's a good thing...you all never steer me wrong! :D

Jules said...

I really liked what I read of Neil Gailman (Neverwhere, Stardust), but haven't read anything by him in ages, although I want to. Guess I should start digging in my feeds and grab some recommendations.

chrisa511 said...

So many excellent books there!!! I really need to do a post like this myself!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

LOL--and I think YOU are the one who convinced me to pick up Neverwhere! :) And I remember when I first started blogging I spent like a day on your blog backreading posts and saw The Book Thief, too. Funny the things you remember huh.

Lesley said...

Hurray for book bloggers!

You have two of my all-time favorites on your list: Neverwhere and I Capture the Castle. I wish more people knew about the latter one, it's one of those undiscovered gems, I think.

CJ said...

So, Stephanie, I gave you credit for introducing me to Mercy... and now I guess I'll thank Kailana, too! Thanks for introducing me to such an amazing author, both of you!

cjh

Ana S. said...

I'm very glad to have introduced you to some books you enjoyed, Stephanie. Hooray for books and bloggers and BBAW :D

Ladytink_534 said...

That's right, I did discover Patricia Briggs on a book blog! Wonder if it was Kailana for me too? Wish I could remember!

joanna said...

wow, some great stuff you discovered! Moon Called has not been added to my list, I've been looking for new series to start... don't know why!!!