Thursday, September 27, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - Friendship



Suggested by Marsha:

Buy a Friend a Book Week is October 1-7 (as well as the first weeks of January, April, and July). During this week, you’re encouraged to buy a friend a book for no good reason. Not for their birthday, not because it’s a holiday, not to cheer them up–just because it’s a book.

What book would you choose to give to a friend and why?

And, if you’re feeling generous enough–head on over to Amazon and actually send one on its way!


Sounds like such an easy question for a reputed bibliophile like me, doesn't it? Well....it's not. Because books, just like people, have personalities too. If I want to answer this question truthfully, I would have to say it would depend on WHICH friend I was buying the book!!

Missy has been my very best friend since Kindergarten. We grew up together, and she was like the sister I didn't have. When she went to one college and I went to a different, we spent many weekends going back and forth to visit. When she got married, I was her maid of honor. When I got married, she was mine. She is my son's godmother. We've been friends through it all. And I know her. She doesn't like scary things. In fact, I'm pretty sure she STILL hasn't forgiven me for dragging her to see "A Nightmare on Elm Street" when we were 16!! So, I know without a doubt, my favorite genre and a big fat Stephen King novel would be out of the question!! For Missy, I would probably buy a Jodi Picoult novel...maybe "My Sister's Keeper" or "Plain Truth".

My friend Kris, I met here in Peoria. We are very similar in our ways of thinking, our likes/dislikes, and the things we like to do. She is my concert-going buddy. But Kris is single and doesn't have kids. I also know this is becoming something a problem for her. I know how hard it is for her to come to my kid's events and birthday parties....even though she loves them to death. So books about mothers/children would probably be out. (Hence no Jodi P. for her!) For Kris, I would probably buy something a little more "literary". Actually, I would buy her "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coehlo. I think she would really like it, and take a lot away from it.

Then there is Aaron. My best guy friend. He likes to read. In fact, Aaron buys ME books for Christmas and birthdays. Aaron is an actor and loves the drama. For Aaron, I would definitely buy a copy of "The Book Thief" by Markus Zuzak.

My brother Luke is one of my best friends in the world. And he is just like me. He loves the paranormal, the odd, the strange. He's easy to buy for. I just go to the bookstore, looks for a book that *I* want to read, and then buy it for Luke, hoping it will come back to me soon!! He does get books for every birthday and Christmas as well. If I was to buy him something now, it would probably be something by Hunter S. Thompson or Neil Gaiman.

Sorry this wasn't a short post with a quick and dirty answer. But I honestly believe to become a lover of books, you just have to find the right one. The one that will complete your personality!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Normally I'd answer like you. Certainly if I were trying to recommend the right book for someone---yeah. Very individual. But I have to admit, in this case I was able to come up with a single book for once. Maybe just because most people who are my friends share a few traits in common, and I think all or nearly all of them could appreciate it.

Carla Nikol said...

I agree with you about the importance of finding the right book for the right person. I spend forever in the card department when shopping for birthday, sympathy or any other type of card. I feel like when I give something, it must say something honest about me, about them and about the occasion, tough match...

den said...

I totally agree. Books have their own personalities which is why I have to consider each friend's personality before I pick up a book to give him or her. That's why my friends and I give each other book wishlists to make it easier. Although it spoils the surprise hehe

Happy BTT and thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

I do endorse that one has to select books with care. Takingin the temperament of the person. I do it all the time. With my brothers, I look for technical books. My mom likes short stories. My friends have varied taste. And so do the kids.

Anonymous said...

wow! very cool and well-thought-out answers. it sounds like you're a good book buyer!

mostly i'd buy my wife books, but she gets very stressed over books and having too many to read. but if i could buy her one today (or in october) i'd buy her "stardust". she loves that neil gaiman type of fantasy and she loves romance...!

i could also buy something for my friends stephane and quintin. it'd be science fiction or something in that genre line, because that is what i mostly enjoy. the criteria of selection is simply that it would be a book that i really enjoyed and thought was very good - and thus new was worth buying.

kookie said...

You are right, one book does not fit all. I love that you've carefully thought out what sort of books would suit these people in your life. You could send me a book anytime. :)

Marianne Arkins said...

You're exactly right, IMHO. Every friend, and every book, is different.

Happy BTT and thanks for visiting.

Anonymous said...

Great answer! It's all about personality, though ocassionally I might try to get someone to read something they wouldn't normally.

Literary Feline said...

I agree that book choosing is a very individual process. I could buy my mom just any book off the first rack I come to at the bookstore, but then, it's not a book that comes from the heart, is it? I like putting thought behind a gift I give someone. I want them to know I care. :-)

BookGal said...

Your friends are very lucky. You made some great choices for them and I love how well you know their tastes and interests.

Melody said...

I agree, Stephanie!!! That's why I think book vouchers are great in this case. Happy BTT!

Bookfool said...

You answered it very much as I would have - it depends on the individual. But, it also might have a bit to do with what I've read most recently that really rocked my boat. :)