Thursday, September 20, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - Sunshine and Roses

The reverse of last week’s question:


Imagine that everything is going just swimmingly. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all’s right with the world. You’re practically bouncing from health and have money in your pocket. The kids are playing and laughing, the puppy is chewing in the cutest possible manner on an officially-sanctioned chew toy, and in between moments of laughter for pure joy, you pick up a book to read . . .


What is it?

Hmmmm....well, if I'm in a great mood, then I can read just about anything!! I have very eclectic tastes in reading material: I read Classics and braincandy; non-fiction and science fiction; fantasy and mystery; historical fiction and dystopian fiction. I just love a good book. But in the same sense, I am kind of a mood reader. Also, I really don't want to read anything that is going to bring me down out of my good mood!

So.....if everything is going swimmingly, I would probably pick up something that I've been wanting to read for a long time. Maybe the newest "bestseller", that just came out that week and I rushed out to get it right away. Or maybe I would pick up a book that I have been "saving" for just the right time. I have a habit of doing that, as weird as it might sound. Sometimes when there is a book that I really want, such as the latest Stephen King or Jodi Picoult, I buy it and just put it on the shelf instead of diving in right away. That way it will be there.....poised and ready for the "perfect" time!! (now that I've just re-read that, I realize how crazy it sounds! Maybe my husband is right....I AM nuts!)



Happy Thursday!!


25 comments:

Debi said...

I didn't think it sounded nuts at all...I think it sounded brilliant! How wonderful knowing you've got these treasures just sitting there waiting for you...yum!

Chris said...

Good answer! This was a tough one.

Stephanie said...

Debi - Well thanks for not thinking I'm weird!! It kind seems weird to me, but I still do it!!

Chris - Thanks! This was tough. Last week's was a lot easier!

BooksPlease said...

Good answer - I'm finding it a hard question too - I haven't answered it yet!

aaronsmusic said...

I don't think you're nuts, at least not based on this post alone - you just have a varied tase in books. That's actualy a good thing.

aaronsmusic said...

I gotta tell ya - I love that picture you have at the top of your page!

Stephanie said...

Booksplease - I know!! It's a tough one to answer. Usually, the words just flow when I'm giving a topic on books!!

Aaronsmusic - I think it comes from being married to a non-reader. Every time I come home from the library with a pile of books, he just shakes his head. Thanks!! I love that picture too!! I found it while trolling the net one day and had to have it on my blog!!

kookie said...

You're not nuts. I have a whole stack of books waiting for that perfect time when I need a pick me up. It's the perfect plan.

Anonymous said...

i think its cool that you do that - theres nothing better when you're feeling good than to top things off with a good book that you've saved just for the occasion!

i'm very similar to you there, i can pretty much read anything and will sometimes reward myself with a nice book too... ironically, quite often that turns out to be the same kind of book i read when everythings' going terrible :)

Stephanie said...

Kookie - See...like minds again! I'm really just trying to validate the fact that I'm not certifiable!!

JP - I like the idea of saving that special book for a special time!! Right now, I'm so busy that I don't have a lot of time to devote to reading. Those special books need attention!!

Anonymous said...

I need to get around to reading some Picoult... mom says she lives near her and has recommended her books to me.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I'm not really a mood reader, but there are some books that I "save" for certain times. I'm not sure why I do that--I guess as Penelope Cruz says in "Vanilla Sky" I am a pleasure delayer. :)

Literary Feline said...

I can read just about anything under the right cirumstances too. :-)

And you aren't so nuts. My TBR collection is so huge that any book I add to it ends up marinating on the shelf for awhile. I like to think it's all the more tasty that way. :-)

Daphne said...

I don't think you are nuts either! I often buy new release books even though I know there is no way I am going to get to them for awhile. I don't know why I do that - it's not like I can't buy it in 6 months or so. I think by buying it right away, I get at a partial "instant gratification" feeling. Plus, it makes me actually add it to my TBR list.

Kelly said...

When I am a good mood I want to read light things.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Sounds like a good idea to me!

DesLily said...

Whenever I felt "that good"..which was long ago.. I always would want to REREAD A FAVORITE. I wouldn't want to take a chance on something new when I knew, though I bought it and anticipated it being good.. there was always a chance it wouldn't live up to expectations. (I don't gamble!) So I'd grab one that I knew I loved, knew I'd enjoy, and knew would just add to that "good feeling" I already had.

Daisy Cat said...

I don't think you are nuts, I completely agree! I quite often buy a book and then leave it until the time is right to read it. (Maybe we are all a little nuts!) Happy BTT.

Melody said...

Great answer, Stephanie! And I don't think you're nuts, I think I do the same thing sometimes, hehe. But it's definitely tough for me to choose what book to read next, gotta depends a lot on my reading mood!

Maaja Wentz said...

I can relate to saving up the good books for just the right moment. Unfortunately, I seem to be able to buy books faster than I can read them.

Happy BTT and thanks for the visit!

Booklogged said...

A really good answer. You made perfectly good sense to me.

alisonwonderland said...

this is a great answer! :)

Anonymous said...

I too buy books, let those stand and read at my leaisure! I relate!

Marianne Arkins said...

Nah... You're not nuts! Or.. I am, because I do the same thing. LOL...

Happy BTT, a day late.

Jodie Robson said...

I feel really insecure if the TBR pile gets too small - well, actually, it's turning into a TBR shelf these days. I love to anticipate the pleasure of a new book by a favourite author. So not nuts, at all.