Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Sunday Salon - My Year in Reading 2008

The Sunday Salon.com Hello Sunday Saloners!! I'm hoping that 2009 has started off with a bang for all of you!! Today, I'm doing my "end-of-the-year" wrap-up post. I warn you...it's not as detailed as a lot that you will see. I didn't really take the time to break things down in minute detail, like men authors or new-to-me authors. Maybe I will try that next year. For now, it will just be the basics:

Books Read in 2008: 51

Pages Read in 2008: 18,259

ARC's Read: 7

Fantasy Read: 25 (yep...Half were Fantasy!)

I readily admit I don't read as much as a lot of bloggers out there. There just isn't time. I work 2 jobs and have 3 kids. That being said, I read 2 more books this year than I did last year...and I can honestly say I probably worked twice as many hours as I did last year. All things considered, I think I did pretty good!

My Top 5 Books for 2008:

Honorable Mention:

For me....this was a great year in reading!! I actually finished 4 challenges: Once Upon a Time II, RIP Challenge III, The Pub '08, and the YA Reading Challenge. I still owe a couple of wrap-ups with those...especially before I move on to the thousands of challenges I've going to sign up for this year!!

Reading Goals:

  • Don't push myself. Reading is my escape. I don't want to make it a burden.
  • Read more ARC's. I've been sent a lot already for the beginning of this year and I want to make sure to read them.
  • Read more non-fiction. I ended up reading NOT ONE non-fiction book this year. It's always a challenge for me to read non-fiction because I don't usually like it as well.
  • Read more short stories. The last year or so, I've had a lot of fun with them, and I want to keep it up!!
  • Blog a little more regularly! Again...this is fun for me and I don't want to make it seem like a chore.
  • Finally.....HAVE FUN!!

==============================================

Right now, I'm reading an ARC of Eclipse by Richard North Patterson. It's about genocide for oil (uh, no....it's actually a FICTION book) and it's really good so far. Other than that....I'm just trying to ease into this new year. On the off-chance that someone actually buys me a book for my birthday, I'm already putting together a "wish list". It includes Looking for Alaska by John Green, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, and Just After Sunset by Stephen King. Cross your fingers for me!!

2008 is finally in the bag. Here's wishing you and yours a wonderful 2009!!! Happy Sunday and Happy Reading!!!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I think 50+ books is great! You never cease to amaze me with all you do. I hope 2009 is an even better year for you. More books, less work!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Any way you look at it, 51 books is fantastic! I also wish that I could read as much as the other bloggers, but I'd have to give up on some other things that I really enjoy about life. Hope 2009 is another great year for you!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with all your reading goals!

Ana S. said...

You did great, Stephanie. And I think it's awesome that half was fantasy :D

I got The Secret History right after your review and I really look forward to getting to it this year.

Good luck with your goals! The last one is my favourite of all.

S. Krishna said...

OOH - I forgot about The Host. That was a good one.

samantha.1020 said...

Congrats on a great reading year! It sounds like you read some really great books. Hope you have a great and happy 2009!

Kailana said...

Hey Stephanie,

When is your birthday? The new Patricia Briggs is out Feb 3, but she has made hardcover status, so it will be a bit more than her others. Just thought you might want to add it to your wish list. :)

Last year was about the same for me, mostly all fantasy, quite a bit of non-fiction, and then everything else. :) I just didn't keep a very good record...

Happy Reading! (Email me when you have a spare moment. We can catch up!)

Stephanie said...

Kristy - Thanks!! Yeah..it would be nice for 2009 to go smoothly...for a change!

Trish - Thanks! I am constantly amazed at the sheer number of books some people read. I wouldn't get anything done if I read 200 + books a year!

Memory - Thanks!

Nymeth - Thanks! It was as great year for Fantasy, that's for sure. The Secret History was such a good book. Strange...but great!

S. Krisna - How could you forget The Host?? LOL That was my favorite of last year!

Samantha - Thanks! I'm hoping for a great 2009.

Kailana - My birthday is Jan. 13th. Now, I haven't read Iron Kissed yet. BUT I did just win a copy from Zeek. I'm pretty excited about that!

Melody said...

You did great, Stephanie! And you'd done well with your reading challenges too!

Here's to another great reading year for all of us!

chrisa511 said...

Wow..that's fantastic Steph! You've added so much to my wishlist this past year. I think number one from your reviews right now is Heartsick...I really want to read that one!

Marg said...

The Host was one of my favourites from last year too. I can't wait for the sequel!

Anonymous said...

If you ask me 51 is a good count, i read 47 this year, probably the lowest I have seen around, lol, and I do only one job.

DesLily said...

no one can think badly as someone who reads a book a week all year long! I've met people who think the do great reading one a month! ..and ya know what?.. it is good! long as you enjoy the books you read the number means nothing.
I hope 2009 brings you 50 more good books to read!

Iliana said...

With all that you have going on Stephanie, I think you did great! My reading goals always include read more non-fiction too but well I don't stress about them. Like you said, it's all supposed to be fun. I like that :)

Hope you read lots of good stuff in '09!

Nikki in Niagara said...

Ah, I've only read one of your top books. The Colleen Gleason. I do hope to read Crow Lake this year though.

Lisa said...

I'd say that is pretty good with your schedule. I hope 2009 is a great reading year for you!!

Susan said...

51 books is amazing, especially with working 2 jobs and having 3 kids! I got 60 read, so I say we just blame the kids lol and keep aiming for 100. At least we're improving! I have to do my wrap-up post for last year still, but was doing the totals tonight in my journal. I love your list, and hey- some years, non-fiction is hard to read. I'm trying to add it consciously now, but my first escape is always mystery and fantasy. Happy New Year Stephanie, and I hope things get better for you - work etc- and your family - may this be a good year for you!

Debi said...

Have fun...that's the best possible goal!!!

And 50+ books is incredible! I read slightly more, but that's only because I had to read so much for homeschooling.

I just have no desire to try the Twilight books, but I'm really anxious to read The Host...mostly because of your review. :)

Fingers crossed for a great birthday haul!

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with your new years goal of not stressing too much about reading. whats the point? as you say, its meant to be fun!

very glad that you liked "neverwhere" and "the secret history so much"!

Laura said...

You have some great stats for 2008--51 books is a lot! I sometimes get a little discouraged when I compare how many books I read with others, but it's definitely not a competition! I don't know how you manage to read even 10 books a year with your jobs and kiddos! Anyways--happy 2009 and best of luck with your goals!

tanabata said...

You did great! I only read 5 more books than you and I only have one job and no kids!
I hope 2009 is a good year for you and your family!