Thursday, November 19, 2009

Booking Through Thursday and Thursday Randomness


Booking Through Thursday:

Today’s question was suggested by Barbara:

Do you think any current author is of the same caliber as Dickens, Austen, Bronte, or any of the classic authors? If so, who, and why do you think so? If not, why not? What books from this era might be read 100 years from now?

Interesting question, but one that is incredibly hard to answer. I mean really, how do you compare Jane Austen to some of our modern authors? What made Charles Dickens so special all those years ago? At least part of it is the quality of the writing. During the 20th Century, we've seen some really fantastic authors whose quality of writing is unbound: John Steinbeck, Toni Morrison, Salman Rushdie, Kazuo Ishiguro, Kurt Vonnegut.

But I also think a part of the equation is a great story. Do we have some phenomenal story tellers today? Damn skippy we do: Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, J.K Rowling. Is Harry Potter or The Stand considered "Great Literature"? No way. But are they still fantastic STORIES? Absolutely. Will people still be reading them 100 years from now? I'd like to think so. I guess only time will tell!!

===========================================================

Hey all!! I know. It's been a few days since I posted. I haven't been around a whole lot. I was off work this weekend, and my computer was acting up a bit. First, it was a Network cable that had gone bad. Once that was cleared up, a few more problems popped up. I've decided it was a case of demonic possession!! My mouse/pointer started doing all sorts of weird things. Moving to different places all by itself. I changed an adapter, and it's seems to be working ok. For now. If that doesn't work, I'm in the market for an exorcist!

I'm not going to be able to participate this year in the Blogger Secret Santa. I'm really kind of bummed, but I figure the more corners I cut, the better off I'll be. Christmas is coming up quickly. I would, however, like to send out some blogger Christmas cards this year. I just have to figure out how to stalk all of you and find your Real Life addresses!! Is it weird to ask?? I've been trying to decide.....

One of the guys I work with just got a Twitter account. He was asking me questions about it, and I told him I'd follow him. When I went to work yesterday, he told me he followed my link to my blog, and read some of my book reviews. Now, my blog isn't something I advertise to my "Real Life" friends. In fact, most don't know a thing about it. I don't know why, but I've never really felt the need to bring it up. It's just my own little thing, and I kind of like to keep it that way. No one I work with has ever said anything about it and honestly, I didn't figure anyone has ever read it. So, I asked Tommy what he thought. He said, "Wow. They are really good. Like totally professional. Like something I could actually READ in a Newspaper. I can't believe you really wrote them!". I'm still not sure how to take this. Should I be flattered? Or a bit insulted that he didn't think I was smart enough to string together some intelligent, coherent sentences?? I'm going to go with flattered. For the moment, it's easier!!

What am I reading? I'm about 1/2 way through Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest. I was really excited to start it, but I've kind of lost a little steam the last few days. I also started the book of essays, Couldn't Keep it to Myself. A fantastic book. Since I'm working all weekend (on the overnight scene), I'm pretty sure I'll get a fair amount of reading time in. I need to get a few graphic novels under my belt. I have so many books from the library, I REALLY need to get some finished!! Just trying to figure out what to read next!!

Melissa de la Cruz, author of the Blue Blood series, is going to do an interview for me!! I'm pretty stoked about it too. Her publicist contacted me about reviewing the last book in the Blue Blood Series. Told her I would love to, but I haven't read 2 or 3 yet! So, she kindly sent me all 3 books. AND said she would schedule an interview!! I'm hoping to get to one big review for the books, and the interview before Christmas.

I'm thinking that's all for now. I'm already contemplating my 2010 Challenges. Scary, but the list is already getting huge!! I could probably plan out my entire year of reading already. Sheesh. A post for another day!! Maybe tomorrow!!

Later!!

12 comments:

Alayne said...

Excellent answer to BTT. Here's my link: http://thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com/

Debi said...

Definitely go with flattered, Stephanie! Definitely! I've no doubt that's the way he meant it!

And Stephanie, I just wanted to wish you and your wonderful family a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
(Yeah, I know it's a bit early, but I'm going to try to stay off the computer for a while.)

Anonymous said...

I think you're right. Some of the ones that remain will be the real storytellers!

Amanda said...

Too funny! I don't tell to many people either but I did tell a couple of co-workers. Eventually. I don't tell some friends though, for instance while I have some bloggy friends on Facebook I don't advertise my blog on there.

I would take it as a compliment though :)

gautami tripathy said...

Great story tellers always survive!

Booking through Posterity

Tif Sweeney said...

Great answer!! You gotta love the storytellers . . . afterall, what sticks in your mind the most, stories or the writing?!? (Totally rhetorical question, by the way!)

What a great idea to do some holiday blogger greetings!! I may have to try that one myself, but electronically! I'm already wondering how I'm going to finish my family and friend greetings!!

Tif Sweeney said...

Oh, I also forgot to add that you should totally be flattered!! :)

Kathleen said...

I would be flattered by your co-workers comments! I am the same way with my blog...I don't share it with my co-workers or very many of my friends.

Melody said...

Great answer for the BTT question!

My co-workers didn't know of my blog's existence, and I'm glad to be that way (though a few close friends knew about it and I've no problem with that).

Eva said...

I'd totally just ask for the addresses for cards. ;)

And I'd be flattered by your coworker's statement! I don't mention my blog much to people I know facetoface either-I'm not sure that they'd get it, lol

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

This is one great blog and I will continue to visit.
You take care and have a great weekend.

David James said...

New Born Baby Cotton Night Suit for Girl's or Boy's (Pack of 2) - Colorful 0 6 Months
i know you know and now we become us and our