Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Few New Challenges

Goodness, it's been WEEKS since I've signed up for a challenge!! I didn't honestly realize how many challenges take place everyday in the book blogging world. When I first started blogging, I signed up for EVERYTHING. But with the influx of book bloggers and the subsequent increase in challenges, as well as my final realization that I would never be able to complete them all, I've kind of taken a break from them. But every great while a good one comes along, and I'm in. For better or worse!

Hosted by Bart's Bookshelf, the YA Dystopian Reading Challenge just kind of jumped out at me!! YA and Dystopian/speculative fiction are two of my very favorite genres. Put them both together: even better. The challenge takes place from October 15 to the end of the year (shhhhhh, I already started my book!)

"Dystopia (from the Greek δυσ- and τόπος, alternatively, cacotopia, kakotopia, cackotopia, or anti-utopia) is the vision of a society in which conditions of life are miserable and characterized by poverty, oppression, war, violence, disease, pollution, nuclear fallout and/or the abridgement of human rights, resulting in widespread unhappiness, suffering, and other kinds of pain. (Source: Wikipedia)"

The idea is to have fun with this, and as I know with the year-end rapidly approaching, thoughts will be turning to completing all the other challenges we are all signed up to! So your level of participation is up to you, simply pick a target of between 1 & 4 books to read during the two and a half months of the challenge.


It’s that easy.


Those are the rules. That's it. 1 - 4 books by the end of the year is something I can accomplish. Although you don't have to make a list, I usually do. It's easier for me to keep track, although I always reserve the right to change my mind and change books!!

  • The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (I'm reading this right now. Oh it is SO Good!)
  • The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness (I have a feeling, I will HAVE to read this book after I finish the first!)
  • The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
  • Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras by Scott Westerfeld (doubt I can get through all of them, but I'd love to get a start on the series! )
  • Feed by M. T. Anderson
  • Exodus by Julie Bertanga

Oh, yeah. I'll be able to get some great books out of that list!!




The Countdown 2010 Challenge is hosted by Michelle from 1 More Chapter. I haven't participated in this one before, but I like the idea! It's a countdown through the decade. 10 from 10, 9 from '09, 8 from '08....you get the picture.


The goal of this challenge is to read the number of books first published in a given year that corresponds to the last digit of each year in the 2000s — 10 books from 2010, 9 books from 2009, 8 books from 2008, etc. The total number of books required, therefore, is 55.
This challenge lasts from 9/9/09 through 10/10/10.
Crossovers with other challenges are allowed and your lists may change at any time.
Sign up using Mr. Linky.
Have fun reading!


So far, I don't have a list. That will be forthcoming. I need to do a lot of research on this one. But the lists are the best part of the challenges!



Finally, the Childhood Favorite reads 2009 - 10 is hosted by Deb from Debbie's World of Books. It's a chance to go back and read some of your favorites from your youth! I'm a little late in starting this one. It started on the 2nd, but hey. Who cares, right?

Guidelines:
Read 5 books that were favorites while growing up
If you would also just like to write a post high lighting your favorite book or series feel free to
Post your reviews or book/series highlight here
Challenge starts today and will end June 30, 2010.
I will do summary posts periodically highlighting the reviews added so far.

My list will look something like this:

  • Nancy Drew Mysteries by Carolyne Keene
  • Trixie Belden Mysteries by Julie Campbell
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  • The Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle

OK, dear Readers. Let's get started!!

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I love the dystopian challenge and I'm considering that childhood reread challenge.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Add the Hunger Games trilogy to the first challenge if you haven't already read it.

Ladytink_534 said...

I still have to finish the Uglies series. Good luck on the challenge!

Tammy said...

I'm so tempted by the Countdown challenge but can't commit -- the 999 challenge has kicked my butt and I don't know if I can survive another big one!

Love your picks for the Childhood challenge. I know we've talked before about our shared love for Trixie Belden. Speaking of which, my parents recently moved into a new house and put out all their books from storage -- including the Trixie collection! They're pretty old, my mom read them as a kid. I'm seriously working on a plan to make off with them.

Debbie's World of Books said...

The Uglies series so so good! I need to read The Dead and Gone. Life as we knew it was so good.

Debbie's World of Books said...

Oh and welcome to my Childhood Favorite's challenge!

Kailana said...

It's really not your blog without you joining insane amounts of challenges, is it? lol Good luck!

Unknown said...

Great to have you aboard! You've got a great list of books there.

Have you finished, TKONLG yet?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
3m.michelle said...

Good luck on all your challenges, Stephanie!