Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Memory of Dewey

Although I wasn't able to participate this year in the Read-a-thon as a reader, I still wanted to take the time to share in the Dewey Love-fest. I remember the day I read on her blog about her untimely passing and it really hit me hard. Sometimes I'm amazed at how incredibly drawn I am to this community. And with that, the incredible friendships I have made. Make no mistake about it: The friendships that have been made in this online community are indeed real. When I'm feeling down, all I have to do is visit a blog or jump on Twitter to find someone to talk to.

When I first started blogging, I didn't realize how many book bloggers were out there. One of the first people to visit me and make me feel welcomed was Dewey. She was larger than life, and her blog was big and had so many visitors, I was blown away by her stopping to read and comment on my little blog. She was so nice and smart. And she always took the time to leave comments.

I remember, I was having a hard time with Chad. He had been diagnosed with ADD, and I had reluctantly put him on medication when he was in 3rd grade. A few years into the process, I still had so many concerns, I posted about it. Dewey made certain to email me off-post, because she had some things she wanted to discuss with me. Over the course of a few weeks, we talked about the subject and she really had some incredible insights into the situation. It was so nice to bounce ideas off someone who wasn't so personally involved, and she made me feel so much better about the decision that I ultimately made.

Her death left such a hole in the community, and in all our hearts. I wish I had some eloquent words to adequately describe her, and how much I miss her. But I don't. What I can say is this. Dewey was a kind and gentle soul. And she is missed. Daily. But thanks to all of you, her light will forever shine on. With the continuation of the Bookworm Carnivals, the Read-a-thons and the Weekly Geeks, Dewey will stay with us. So, thank you. Just know that I love all of you very much.

9 comments:

Eva said...

Your post is so wonderful, and I'm SO glad that you wrote it. *hugs*

Andi said...

Beautifully written, Steph. Couldn't have said it any better.

Care said...

yes! glad you decided to share this. and though you might not be reading for all these hours in the middle of the night! it's fun to see your comments about. :)

chrisa511 said...

*hugs Steph* It's amazing how many people she affected, huh? Glad you wrote this big sis :)

Debi said...

You know what, Stephanie...you said you wished you could find the words to adequately describe her, but I don't think anyone is capable of that feat. Still all these posts together tell an amazing story, don't they? Your post was beautiful and heartfelt, Stephanie. Thanks for sharing it. *hugs* Love you!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Such a beautiful post, Stephanie. I know we'll be remember Dewey for quite a long time to come!

Margot said...

A lovely tribute to Dewey. Thank you for stopping by my blog to cheer me on. Cheerleading makes all the difference.

3m.michelle said...

A very nice tribute, Stephanie!

Caleb Short said...

Great sharre